My space electronic music for your consideration

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Re: My space electronic music for your consideration

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:58 am

Hi again Przem,

Sorry, it took me a bit longer than I thought to get to this. I've given your song a fair listen and I still like it. :) As I mentioned before, you'll have to cut the length in about half. With games, there's a big concern for how much RAM various assets take up, and a 7+ minute song is a lot. In addition, that's a very long time for the player to listen to the same ambient track. If you can get it down to somewhere between 3 and 4 minutes, that would be great. Let's keep it simple for now and just make it a single track, not sliced up.

I think it would fit as an in-game ambient track, which hopefully is great news to you. :) I feel that this track's mix has more clarity than the first ones of yours I listened to, which is also great. It might be a few dB quieter than our other tracks so that would be something to look at, mastering-wise. It would be easier for me to compare if I had the .wav file of it rather than just the YouTube link. While your track is mostly ambient, I also think it has enough action in it to not be a quiet song (mostly due to the drums), so we need to make sure volume levels and overall presentation are consistent across similar tracks.

Great work so far on the song!
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm

It is great to hear, amplitudeproblem! Thanks! :)

No problem, it is always better to do something then you have enough time for it rather than to do it in a rush. I am happy that you have given my song a fair listen and you want it to appear in a game, which is really great news to me! Yeah! :)

I will work with this track to make it shorter and post short version in .wav format on my soundcloud account. I can also turn up a few dB to make it louder.
Could you possibly wait for that until wednesday? I have a really busy week now and I want to make this short version great and I can't tell whether I manage to find time tomorrow to finish it. Is that okay?
Przem

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:56 pm

No rush whatsoever; we have tons of time. Please take your time and do it right. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you! I appreciate that :)
Przem

Postby carloscarreon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 am

I'm listening to some of your Arp tunes now
Dee Milliner Jersey, Tim Tebow Jersey , New York Jets Jersey:http://www.blackfridayjetsjerseys.com/
carloscarreon

Postby Przem » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

When you finish listening to them, please give me your opinion, carloscarreon :)

I have finished short version of my Nebula Flythrough, amplitudeproblem. I am happy with the result, I have shortened it to fit between 3-4 minutes and I managed to keep the track's atmosphere :)

You can listen to it at my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/plprzemo/nebula-flythrough-short
Przem

Postby VladVP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm

amplitudeproblem wrote:Hi again Przem,

Sorry, it took me a bit longer than I thought to get to this. I've given your song a fair listen and I still like it. :) As I mentioned before, you'll have to cut the length in about half. With games, there's a big concern for how much RAM various assets take up, and a 7+ minute song is a lot. In addition, that's a very long time for the player to listen to the same ambient track. If you can get it down to somewhere between 3 and 4 minutes, that would be great. Let's keep it simple for now and just make it a single track, not sliced up.

I disagree. I would much rather prefer a bunch of long songs (±10 minutes) than a lot of short songs. Else, the athmosphere in the game would feel a little... arbitrarily modular. (If you know what I mean)
VladVP

Postby thomas9459 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:02 pm

VladVP wrote:I disagree. I would much rather prefer a bunch of long songs (±10 minutes) than a lot of short songs. Else, the athmosphere in the game would feel a little... arbitrarily modular. (If you know what I mean)

Same. I liked the longer track much better than the shorter one: it had much more room to allow for progression. By the way, nice job Przem!
thomas9459

Postby amplitudeproblem » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Przem,

This is excellent -- well done! It makes its point and doesn't overstay its welcome. I think this will be a great track for fading in during moderate game activity.

Next, we need to work on the mix a bit more. The bass drum comes across muddy no matter which speakers I use (monitors, gaming, small, etc). I'm wondering if you can free up some frequencies around it and the bass line. Or slightly lower the kick volume and make it a tad brighter, perhaps? Do you have a compressor on it? It sounds to me like the kick is stealing away from the low-mid range. (Possibly, if you can side-chain, you could duck the bass very, very quickly but it's hard to say whether that would help or make matters worse, and with this style of music, you might want to avoid it actually.)

The rest of the mix works very, very well; I like your choice of instruments (the sweeping pads, the trance-like stabs, it's great!). And I'm a sucker for 1-8 bass lines. :)

If you'd like, you can PM me your email address and we can work through the rest of this in private, and so you can share the file, etc.
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks, thomas9459 and amplitudeproblem! :)

Amplitudeproblem - yes, I will send you a PM shortly with my e-mail address, so we can discuss mixing of this track in more detail and when we work something out - then I will post updated version here in this topic :) I am glad you like it and your opinion will surely help me in improving this track's sound so it can match the level of quality of the other tracks that are currently approved to the game.
Przem

PreviousNext

Return to Sound