My space electronic music for your consideration

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

My space electronic music for your consideration

Postby Przem » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 am

Hi there!

I just thought, that you may want to listen to my tracks, especially from my 'Arp' series.
Here is the link for the playlist: Przem - Arp

If you are interested, just let me know :)
Przem

Re: My space electronic music for your consideration

Postby Krarl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Nice! I think it's amplitudeproblem and SanDingo who have done the music so far, so it's up to them to decide if it fits or not.
But it's always fun when people show stuff :)
Krarl

Postby San Dingo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 am

Hello Przem!

Listening to some of your tracks right now! I really like the composition of the piano in "Sorrow", and "Rain 7". "Rain 10" is nice and calming, as well. I like your "Arp" songs, very ambient and spacey. "Arp 4" At exactly 3:00 and the following section is nice.

Amplitude will link you the SoundCloud group so you can see the currently approved tracks.
Hop on IRC sometime and we can chat!
San Dingo

Postby amplitudeproblem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:45 am

Hi Przem,

I'm listening to some of your Arp tunes now. You've got some cool space tunes going on there. :) Perhaps you've seen the sticky post near the top of the forum which explains the direction? It also has the main theme in it. If you haven't read it, please do.

Here's the SoundCloud group containing the songs currently included:

https://soundcloud.com/groups/trillek

Based on your songs, I think you could compose a cool ambient tune that we'd consider for inclusion in Trillek. I've noticed that your tunes (at least the Arp ones) have a definite theme in terms of composition and instrument selection. I think your theme is pretty much compatible with the direction of the game music (I like your crazy octave bass lines and I think your drum patterns help set the mood). The one thing I'm wondering is about your mixing/mastering; it comes across as a bit muddy at the bottom end (and into the mid-ranges at times) with the drums being drowned out. We need to stick to a reasonably consistent final sound across all the tracks. This is definitely something we could work with you on though. :) What tools do you use? Do you make sure to cut unnecessary frequencies in each sound to free up space in the mix?

If you listen to the SoundCloud tracks, especially the ambient ones, and I asked you to "make the next ambient track for Trillek", what would you come up with? I'd love to hear it! :) I think your Arp songs are close!
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate your comments, Krarl, amplitudeproblem and San Dingo, and it is great to hear, that some of my tracks could fit the theme :)

I will read through the sticky post with direction of music explained and I will listen to trillek group on soundcloud at the weekend and I will try to compose something that would answer your question, amplitudeproblem.

To answer another question of yours, yes I cut unnecessary frequencies particularly in bass section, however, my studio equipment is not top-of-the-line, unfortunately, so I am aware that there could still be some mixing/mastering flaws when it comes to bass or mid-section (sometimes because I simply don't hear those flaws on my equipment). But it can be harnessed - based on my experience and your help, we can work out to mix it so it matches the rest of the tracks from the soundtrack and has consistent final sound as you stated.
As for the tools I use, I work in FL Studio DAW, using various VSTs that came with the Signature Bundle and some other VSTs I acquired along my way making and learning music. I edit sounds or make them from scratch, I compose all the notes, bassline, melody, beats etc. by myself using built-in pianoroll in FL Studio. For final mixing I use my hi-fi equipment (yup, I know I should have studio monitors and dedicated audio interface or at least good pair of studio headphones, but I can't afford them now).

If you have any more questions, shoot - I will answer them with a pleasure :)
Przem

Postby Przem » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm

amplitudeproblem wrote:If you listen to the SoundCloud tracks, especially the ambient ones, and I asked you to "make the next ambient track for Trillek", what would you come up with? I'd love to hear it! I think your Arp songs are close!

I have finished it. It has something from ambient, psychill and downtempo genres merged together to create nice and atmospheric track. Composing it I was thinking of travelling through space in a starship, exploring the depths of space, interstellar void and flying through nebula clouds.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheCpdv996I

What is your opinion?
Przem

Postby Krarl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I like it, good work.
Krarl

Postby San Dingo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 am

Listening to it now, sounds pretty good. The drum mix is better, less drowned out to my ear.
San Dingo

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:27 am

Hi Przem,

Thanks for creating this and sharing it with us! It sounds nice and we can work with this. I can imagine myself doing some nebula exploration when hearing it. :) I want to listen to it tomorrow when I can crank up the volume more and then I'll check out the mix and such. We will probably want to limit the length to 3 to 3:30 minutes or so, maybe 4, tops. I'll respond again shortly.

Regards
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks for your comments! :) I appreciate them and I am glad that you like it!

I have been thinking about making it shorter it if it's really needed to add it to the game and this is what I came up with:
1) I can make standalone files in whatever format you need (as long as FL Studio supports it) of intro, verses, breakdown and outro, so you could use it with dynamic music (if such thing is planned to be implemented in code, ofc), for example - when you are just flying around game would play intro and mix it with verses or breakdown etc when something more dynamic happens in game.
2) I can short by half length of the verses and breakdown and save a separate short version of this track for game purposes - then we should arrive at something in that given time limit. But I think it may kill the track's atmosphere.
3) We can have this track 'as is' and use it in let's say trailer or cutscene of some sort.

I am open to suggestions, so if I missed some option just tell me.
Przem

Next

Return to Sound