Milestone 2 audio assets are here

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Milestone 2 audio assets are here

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 am

Hi team,

As promised, the audio assets for milestone 2 are ready. :)

EDIT: all files for milestone 2 are now included below

In the zip file I'm linking to are:

- Ship interior ambient noise (44.1KHz, 24-bit mono .wav, loopable)
- Ship interior radio static (44.1KHz, 24-bit mono .wav, loopable) plus four shorter radio static files with clips from the longer one in case we don't want to keep 90 seconds of static in memory :)
- Ship interior footsteps (44.1KHz, 24-bit mono .wav, loopable) ... one loop for walking (126 steps/minute) and one for running (180 steps/minute); these speeds can be adjusted to match the visual effect of moving around ... there's also one file with just a single footstep, which is how it should be done later when the code supports it and can provide variation through slight pitch/volume randomization and such
- All GUI sounds (44.1KHz, 24-bit mono .wav) ... hover-over, select, back/escape, alert and error ... these are somewhat musical in nature and are made to harmonize with the Trillek Main Theme
- Trillek Main Theme (quality 10, stereo .ogg)
- Just Cruisin' 1: ambient in-game
- Just Cruisin' 2: ambient in-game
- Uncharted Space 1: ambient for when the player is cruising uncharted space or perhaps just warped into it (can use as regular ambient for now)

I expect all audio to be subject to many iterations of refinement and expansion, but here's our starting point for milestone 2! :)

http://amplitudeproblem.com/trillek/trillek_all_audio.zip
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Re: Milestone 2 audio assets are here

Postby Pseudonym » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 am

Didn't we settle on 48kHz?
Pseudonym

Postby amplitudeproblem » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 am

Hey Pseudo,

You are correct. I'm keeping things normalized at the moment; we'll be able to finalize this later if we're not happy with it. For many sound effects, even 44.1 is a big waste of space (no sense in going beyond the Nyquist rate). The music is the important part -- I'm exporting those files as quality 10 .ogg for now; I'm having a hard time finding information as to what this actually translates into (other than a bitrate/second; I shouldn't have stated the .ogg file was in 44.1kHz at 24 bits). Quality 6 or so should be somewhat equivalent to mp3 quality. We need to discuss an overall RAM budget for music + sound effects so I can optimize accordingly. But as Adam said, functionality now, polish later. :) I'm more than happy to work with you guys on the exact specs for all of this.
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Pseudonym » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 am

OK, cool. Sound files with different sample rates might not even be an issue given modern audio hardware. I guess we'll see.
Pseudonym

Postby amplitudeproblem » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 am

Should be OK, games do it all the time. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Return to Sound