Trillek Main Theme and direction for other music

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Trillek Main Theme and direction for other music

Postby amplitudeproblem » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 am

Greetings,

The main theme for Trillek has been completed and can be found below. I'm quite happy with it and hope you enjoy it. It's about two minutes long and takes the listener on a journey from being thrusted into an ever-expanding space, ever more colorful and dramatic. After ramping up all the way, it concludes with fear of the unknown and broken communications, or -- dare I say it -- a busted on-board computer. You know, your average day in space. :) Of course, the third part of the story arc is what comes next, when the game begins, and is left to the player. There will be several ambient in-game songs as well as more action-oriented ones for battles and other emergencies. (The current list of ideas is on the shared Google Drive.) Since Trillek stems from 0x10c, I originally had some 80s/90s 16-bit-inspired themes in my mind. However, as our game is taking on its own flavor throughout the design phase, I decided to go with something bigger-sounding but with a nod to 80s bass sounds and a lo-tech sounding arpeggio.

The direction being set here is one of rather full electronic basses and pads, combined with orchestral strings to fill out the top end and to remind the space-farer of humanity. The main theme is in E minor at 107 BPM and the GUI sound effects, which are somewhat melodic, are made to match (they can be found in another post here). Other music for Trillek should be in line with this direction but not all need to incorporate all ingredients. For instance, a fully electronic ambient song that sticks with relatively clean synths would be just fine. I'm also not ruling out a grittier tune or two for scenarios such as battles or grizzly space discoveries. :) We will probably not go with fully orchestral tracks, but it's possible I could be convinced if the right track was presented. At the other end of the spectrum, we're not going to land on planets Techno or Dubstep either. Think Tron, Bladerunner but brought up to date (in fact, Tron: Legacy is not a bad example). A degree of humor in some of the songs would be welcome; this is going to be a fun game and bizarre things are bound to happen! Not everything in-game should be dark. Think FTL. San Dingo has a few ambient tracks ready and you can find them in his post here on the Sound Forum.

Without further ado, the Trillek Main Theme:

https://soundcloud.com/amplitudeproblem/trillek-main-theme
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Re: Trillek Main Theme and direction for other music

Postby wrongu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:17 pm

This is a very good song, and a great write-up of it too! Great choice to write it in a minor key - that really helps set the tone. My initial feedback is that I would have liked to hear the strings come in earlier, maybe with the percussion.. Just one opinion, though

Brainstorming: have you experimented with variations in volume? I say this having just seen the movie Gravity, where the juxtaposition of explosions with silence is used very well. (Something about no sound in space and all that jazz*)

*pun intended
wrongu

Postby amplitudeproblem » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks, wrongu! The strings do come in with the percussion, but not in full force. Regarding volume, I like your thoughts about no sound in space -- the cinematic version of this theme does something like that. It's about a minute longer and spends more time on the build-up and reverts to something softer yet suspenseful after an initial ramp (it's on my SoundCloud and in another post here). It's a bit tricky to do with an intro in a way because you don't necessarily have a captive audience for a couple of minutes like you would with a trailer; you just kind of need to get going and set the theme relatively early before they're done with the menus and launch into the game. :) That said, some games have made that work (like Halo). But... those were my goals anyway. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby radar37 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:13 pm

amplitudeproblem wrote:Think Tron, Bladerunner but brought up to date (in fact, Tron: Legacy is not a bad example).

What a lovely analogy, I fully agree with this direction. If my vision of Trillek was expressed as music, this is what it would sound like. You and San Dingo make awesome music, keep up the good work!
radar37

Postby amplitudeproblem » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:15 am

Thank you for the kind words, radar! Stay tuned for more. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Pseudonym » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 am

This is a great piece; I love it.

amplitudeproblem wrote:(in fact, Tron: Legacy is not a bad example)

I triple dare you to do something in the style of the Adagio.
Pseudonym

Postby amplitudeproblem » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks, Pseudo, much appreciated! Adagio is a great piece; very dynamic. Helps to have a massive orchestra at your disposal. :) I'm going to have to think about this one...
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Przem » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:53 am

Main theme is awesome, man! I want to listen to it over and over again :)
When the beat kicks in... great, simply great! The arpeggio sets the final atmosphere and gives space feeling, while catchy tune played on strings sets the whole track's mood. I could even feel the cold metal floor of my starship's cockpit and imagine its windows showing myriads of stars!
Well done, congratulations on that, amplitudeproblem! :)
Przem

Postby Filipus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello guys, I'm really new to this forums (I've been watching progress from time to time).
I am a bass played and I would love to help in anyway I can. Could you send me the master of the Main Theme so that i can add bass?
Or maybe just a download :D
Filipus

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:51 am

Przem, thanks for the feedback and the kind words! I'm glad the tune painted those pictures for you. :) Your imagination will serve you well when you create your own music, for sure.

Filipus, welcome to the forum! There's no room for more bass in the main theme mix; everything is about as maxed out as it can get. :) That said, perhaps for one of the forthcoming tracks, I can send you a bassline and you can play it live and get it recorded. Or I can remove the bass from a song and you can add yours and see what you come up with.
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Next

Return to Sound