Final filename conventions for audio

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Final filename conventions for audio

Postby amplitudeproblem » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi everyone,

To make it easy for the coders who have to implement music/sound, please follow these filename conventions. Examples:

trillek_song_ambient_[artist_code][number]
trillek_song_battle_[artist_code][number]
trillek_effect_ship_red_alert_[artist_code][number]
trillek_effect_weapon_laser_[artist_code][number]

...where artist_code is a three-character combination each artist will choose to represent themselves (please see list below for taken codes). number starts at 1 and increments by one for each variation you create. According to an IRC session we had, music should be .ogg files and sound effects .wav files. We're still looking into other parameters but the worst case scenario would be 44.1KHz, 16-bit stereo for music and mono for sound effects (they will be spatially placed in the code).

Taken artist codes:

amp (Amplitude Problem)
sdo (San Dingo)
Last edited by amplitudeproblem on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Re: Proposed filename conventions for audio

Postby San Dingo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:57 pm

This is a good idea, it'd help a lot with organization.
San Dingo

Postby DarkSpartan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 pm

In the interests of brevity in filenames, a three-character designation rather than the full artist name should be used.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby amplitudeproblem » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm

That sounds good, Spartan. I'll edit the post. I originally wanted to include the full artist name to provide some (granted, very limited) protection because my understanding was that the .ogg format didn't allow for very solid metadata. However, these days, after some research, I believe it does and we can include artist names and such in the metadata.
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Re: Final filename conventions for audio

Postby DarkSpartan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:25 am

Even so, we can always put that information in the credits, along with the codes. Because you can bet that some twat will use something like "Triskadekaphobia Supercalifragilisticexpialidocous Nonagenarian" with the sole intent of playing merry hob with filename character limits. Then s/he can say "what?" when half the WinBlows clients tell the players to fuck right off. Just abbreviate the slimy bastard as TSN and move on.

Before you ask, I know a girl that would do some shit like that for kicks. Truth be told, she'd probably have found three longer words who's initials amounted to something at least mildly obscene. Some of the conversations I get dragged into are right strange.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Return to Sound