Do we need anything orchestral?

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Do we need anything orchestral?

Postby lekro » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 am

Since everyone else made something electronic, does that mean that we're going to go for a 100% electronic soundtrack? I come here with mostly a classical music background, so I don't know much about electronic music. But I can make something nice with an orchestra.

An idea: maybe we can have an "aftermath" sort of music after battles are over, while the user assesses damage to the ship, etc.
lekro

Re: Do we need anything orchestral?

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:46 am

I'd love orchestral music personally. I even wouldn't mind contemporary music in the game, on an in ship music player.
IRC: |Andy|
Andrew

Postby TerryLikeman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 am

Orchestral would be great. While it's definitely true that we want a unified sound to the game, I don't see why we can't include a few songs that have the same feel to them, only they're done with a more classical instrumentation. The challenge is getting it to mesh with the other styles. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
TerryLikeman

Postby lekro » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks for replying - I have been gone from Trillek for a very, very long time and decided to check back once.

I'm currently learning counterpoint, but I'm not sure how that would help Trillek with its space theme. My style is classical.
lekro

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 am

lekro, please see my pinned post about the audio direction. (Terry hasn't been on the project for a long time.) Orchestral can fit, especially over an electronic foundation, so to speak. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby lekro » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 am

amplitudeproblem wrote:lekro, please see my pinned post about the audio direction. (Terry hasn't been on the project for a long time.) Orchestral can fit, especially over an electronic foundation, so to speak. :)

Ok ;) I am still experimenting with things in FL studio ... there's SO MUCH you can do. Here's some random thing that I came up with combining orchestral + electronic. Obviously won't fit the Trillek theme, but it's an example of my musical style. (which stems from classical)

https://soundcloud.com/lekro-1/an-experiment-with-a-circle-progression

I also have a nice harpsichord soundfont if there's any need for that, or can record myself playing the piano or violin.
lekro

Postby amplitudeproblem » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:59 am

Nice - I like it! It might be really fun to have a whimsical classical piece playing during special game events. For example, I can picture an alien race who has no chance of doing damage to you chasing you around, firing at you, and your ship is just merrily dancing around them in space for fun. :) Or a fun alien race popping up on your video chat. Lots of possibilities. An electronic arpeggio behind a couple classical instruments could be great!
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby lekro » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks! For now, I'm busy exploring and experimenting with FL studio, but if you guys need anything specific, tell me and I'll look into it.

More random stuff: (This one has the harpsichord, so I can make something sound baroque if needed)
https://soundcloud.com/lekro-1/a-little-bit-of-bach-modulation
lekro

Postby lekro » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Scratch those two. Here's a better one:
https://soundcloud.com/lekro-1/texture-in-b-minor-final-violin-solo

The forum's very empty these days.
lekro

Postby cptpatriot » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm starting to lose faith in this game being completed. I'm sorry to put it that way, but after 0x10c I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm. I can only pray, we manage to pull this rabbit out of our hat.
cptpatriot

Next

Return to Sound