The Meeting: Unto the future

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

The Meeting: Unto the future

Postby DarkSpartan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 pm

As of now, I will be assuming control of the Art and Sound groups, pending the appointment of Team Leads. If you have concerns/questions about/for this week's meeting, post them here.

In the meantime, I need a portfolio link from each member, and a blurb on your preferred software, field, and experience not only in that field, but making games overall.

Thank you for your cooperation.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Re: The Meeting: Unto the future

Postby Phredderick » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 am

I guess my best form of portfolio would be my soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/serious-question probably with emphasis on this song: https://soundcloud.com/serious-question/the-woods as well as my sound effects I made specifically for this project: https://soundcloud.com/serious-question ... ts/s-PJWmj

I use FL Studio for all my audio production needs, and a random assortment of mostly free VSts (I do have things like Melodyne Essential too). I've done some music for some small independent games, and I'm hoping to get deeper into the business. I'm a Music Pre-Major at Brigham Young University with plans to enter the Commercial Music Program. I can do music or sound effects, and though I cannot admit to being skilled, I consider myself a proficient audio producer. As a student, I don't always have a lot of time for non-school related audio work, but I will gladly do what I can if given the chance.
Phredderick

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey,

My name is Pawel and I'm pitching to be the lead music composer. I have my personal portfolio available here: Pawel Osmolski, and my own audio production agency which showcases recent works: Crown & Craft. I've been performing and composing music for the past 20 years.
My preferred software is Cubase and Pro Tools (DAW), NI Komplete/Waves and numerous libraries (Plugins), Adobe Audition (Sample Editing), but out of convenience for my home setup I'm mostly using either Reaper or Cubase. I have also recently been testing ideas with FMOD Studio.

Here are some notable compositions The Nova Star Legacy, varied Sci-Fi/world themes, and Space Explorer Polaris, heavily 8-bit influenced. I've also recently submitted some rough Trillek ideas.

In-terms of experience, I've done composition and sound design work primarily for web-based game developers. I went to university and studied for a Bachelor of Arts and Masters degree in Music/Audio Tech. I'm not a game designer per se, but I did used to dabble with SEUCK, BASIC programmed and AMOS when I was growing up with the Commodore 64 and Amiga computers. A lot of my favourite game composers are from that era, so I have a soft spot for anything retro and 8-bit.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers.
Last edited by CaptainStarPaw on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Pawel Osmolski - music portfolio
Crown & Craft - sound design
SoundCloud - all sorts
Bandcamp - digital releases
CaptainStarPaw

Postby The Doctor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 am

Hey,
I am Florian and sometimes I work as a music composer. I learned to play the piano for 6 years but stopped it because school became more important (A-Levels). I composed serval songs, which are not available online. I am not a full time music composer; I am still a student. Often I design sounds for my own VFX work.
I am working with FL Studio but I want to buy Logic Pro X soon. I also own Adobe Audition, but I don't use it often (It is part of Adobe's Production Suite CS6).
When I produce music it is often ambient music, but I also did serval works with FL Studio in the field of Techno, Hip-Hop and Musique concrete, which were rated with a 1- (German for A-, just google it).

I am an amateur coder and know how games are made. I learn(ed) Java, C# and C and serval Weblanguages and still do different projects. My latest is a Turing Machine Simulator.
The only song I can provide for now is Analog Space: https://soundcloud.com/docsvisuals/analog-space but I am working on a new song at the moment. But as always time is not my friend...
The Doctor

Postby Vox_Atomic » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi there friends! I'm Ethan and I'm applying for the position of Lead Sound Designer. I hope this is the right place to post this. Hang in there throughout this wall of text, since I think you'll like what I have to say.

Background
I'm a third-year advertising major at the University of Texas at Austin. When I'm not in class, you'll usually find me writing music or working on film projects. I'm a writer, an artist, and a composer, and my tools of choice for music/sound design are my hardware setup and Reaper. I've had roughly ten years of experience with piano, and about 4 years of experience with synthesis and music production. I specialize in DnB.

Portfolio - Here are a handful of items from my portfolio, covering a variety of different media vehicles:

1. Vox Atomic - My personal project, where I create and play electronic music 100% live, without the use of any computers or pre-recorded parts. So far I've accumulated over 7,000 Youtube subscribers and well over 1,000,000 total views. Here are some of my original pieces:
- Made With Machines
- The Ballad of Corporal Zeta

2. LARPing is for Losers - An upcoming webseries where I served as the writer, director, composer, and sound mixer. The idea here was to create medieval-inspired electronic music! I can't release too much on this just yet, but here are a couple songs from the soundtrack that I wrote:
- Scary Masters and Nice Fights
- Final Speech of The Hero

3. Adamant Pack - A well-received texture pack for Minecraft Beta 1.5 (note - I've since discontinued this texture pack and it is NOT up-to-date). Including previous versions, this pack received about 32,000 downloads!
- Minecraft Forum Page

Lead Sound Designer
Now let's get into the real meat of this post. I'm applying to be the Lead Sound Designer for Project Trillek.

VISION
Sound needs a solid and cohesive direction. Too often sound effects are overlooked in independent games, with people resorting to using generic samples and sound packs. But that's not what's going to happen here. No, we'll be different. And we'll be good at being different. So here's my plan:

We'll use exclusively synthesized sounds for this game. No exceptions. Footsteps, explosions, heart beats, monsters, environments - everything will be synthesized. No PCM sounds, and no microphone recordings. If done well, the results are an incredibly unique mix of realistic and surreal. I believe this will work perfectly for a space exploration game, and it's unique as hell. So here are a couple of demos I whipped up last night. (Note - these are not intended to be used in the game, they are very rough demonstrations to illustrate what I am talking about. Also, since these are demos, they are pre-rendered with effects like reverb, LPFs, delay, and stereo panning. I realize this will not be the case with final ingame sounds, which should be mono and sans effects).

- Environments! I believe environmental ambience should be kept deliberately simple. It should be able to provide a background that sets the tone without disrupting any music layered over it. With a space game like this, it is imperative to avoid cheesy sounds and unnecessary effects. Like random reverberated synth tones coming out of nowhere, or creepy swooshes generated by nothing at all - you know what I mean. Environments must be kept simple. Here are my examples: (Note - turn these waay down, so they sound like proper backgrounds and not overpowering).

1. An engine room, made by layering a sub-bass sine wave with a noise generator and a modulated synth.
2. A control console, made by layering a sub-bass sine wave with a randomly modulated square wave.
3. A windy planet, made with a simple noise generator.

- Monsters! Oh these are gonna be fun. You can go wild with bit crushers, talking modulators, and even speech synthesis. Here's a little sample of some space creatures and killer robots!

- Let's Put it All Together! And here is a simulated environment for you all. Keep in mind that good sound should be able to tell a story of its own. See if you can figure this scenario out!

By keeping it synthesized, we can keep it simple, coherent, and unique. And it doesn't require super specialized equipment! Noise generators can be used for all kinds of sounds, like thrusters, explosions, wind, water, and rain. Layered sub-bass can be used to create a filling hum for all sorts of machinery. Simple modulated square and saw waves can be used for lasers and numerous effects. And distortion and bitcrushers can totally rock your world. There is a LOT of room for creativity, and I believe I am the perfect choice to direct this creativity.

After all, it's not just about what I can make. It's what the community can make. I would absolutely love to guide Trillek's sound with the direction I stated here. I believe my experiences in game and media development are appropriate and useful, I believe my management and organization abilities will make the sound department develop reliably, and I believe my solid direction will create a unified and unique product. Thanks for reading, and cheers!
Vox_Atomic

Postby DarkSpartan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:22 am

Shortly after I posted the OP, we got a Sound Team lead, TerryLikeman.

Let's get him as much as support as possible!

Keep the samples coming, though: He'll be doing his own organizing as we get things moving.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby TerryLikeman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 am

Hello, everyone. I apologize for the long wait in this. I've been waiting for formal confirmation before introducing myself as the proper lead.

I'm Terry LIkeman. A bit about myself, I'm an audio engineer in my 4th year of college, as well as an occasional composer, mostly of piano pieces. A few samples of my work can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/terrylikeman

Over the next few days, I'll be in the process of organizing people and resources, so keep your eyes on this thread: http://forum.trillek.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=397
TerryLikeman

Postby Airon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 am

Here's an example sequence of sounds for the organic side of things, like footsteps, movement, equiping or taking off gear and two simple environments.

https://soundcloud.com/airon-extv/trill ... nd/s-Bw7d6

Created in roughly 30 minutes.

Doors like this can be made stereo by placing the two sound entities at the sides of the door. I've done this for ambience stuff in Quake mods plenty of times. The footsteps, movement, equipment and locker sounds are treated with a reverb to illustrate the environment. Hopefully the engine will have room simulations, though if not, creating multiple room versions for different environments is not a problem. I used that approach in the Quake3 mod Truecombat for the weapon sounds, where we used three different environments(inside, large room and outside). An example can be heard here: https://vimeo.com/70270958#t=85
Airon

Return to Sound