Pawel Osmolski - Composer - Trillek WIP's

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Pawel Osmolski - Composer - Trillek WIP's

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Hey,

My initial approach to Trillek's score is to derive influences from the Mass Effect series, Starbound and Fez (Contemporary, Electronic, Orchestral and Chiptune). I believe these three games conjure the right kind of memorable melodies and textures for a game of this scope. Clint Mansell's work for the film Moon (2009), and John Murphy's/Underworld work for Sunshine (2007) are also strong influences.

UPDATE: 2013-09-09

1). Trillek Theme / Title Track

A more structured and upbeat approach, sticking with the electronic and orchestral theme.

2). Trillek Ambient / Space Exploration

Lots of resonating synth pads, something to listen to whilst staring at the stars.

3). Trillek Ambient / Planet Exploration

A mysterious sounding piece that could be used for planet and moon exploration.

4). Trillek Intro / Grandiose Theme

I attempted to mix electronic and orchestral elements together. It's a very rough mix, but there are definitely options to include orchestral percussion, or maybe build into some kind of light electronic drum-backing. I'm not really decided on the violins at 1:02 yet. I'm thinking that when the piano riff ends abruptly at 1:30, the whole piece could develop into something rockier.

5). Trillek Environment / Spacecraft

Lots of different sounds mutated and constructed. Originally used as a backing for the theme, I was playing around with ideas that could fit within the environment of a spacecraft or alien world.

Following on from my Reddit post, I'll use this forum thread to post any WIP ideas. I'm going to work on a Trillek Intro, Battle Themes, and ambient/environmental pieces for general exploration.

Here are some examples of my previous space themed compositions:
The Nova Star Legacy - Varied themes, some upbeat and some more ambient
Space Explorer Polaris - 8-bit influenced

There is more available on my Music Portfolio web-site, and I also recommend checking the links in my signature.

I'm glad to be part of this community, and I look forward to hearing what you guys think!

Cheers.
Last edited by CaptainStarPaw on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Pawel Osmolski - music portfolio
Crown & Craft - sound design
SoundCloud - all sorts
Bandcamp - digital releases
CaptainStarPaw

Re: Pawel - My space music contributions

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Updated the first post with new links!
Last edited by CaptainStarPaw on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
SoundCloud - all sorts
CaptainStarPaw

Re: Pawel Osmolski - Composer - Trillek WIP's

Postby Phredderick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am

They sound really nice! For the first one, I feel like at the end it could drop into something harder and electronic, as opposed to rocky, though a rock theme would work quite well too. I like both of them a lot.
Phredderick

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 am

Phredderick wrote:They sound really nice! For the first one, I feel like at the end it could drop into something harder and electronic, as opposed to rocky, though a rock theme would work quite well too. I like both of them a lot.

Agreed, thanks a lot! I might take the electronic-rock route, ala Depeche Mode. Going to experiment more with it tomorrow and see what works!

Thanks again.
SoundCloud - all sorts
CaptainStarPaw

Postby SunShiranui » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 am

I like the main theme, but didn't particularly enjoy the ambient track. Good job though!
SunShiranui

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:21 pm

SunShiranui wrote:I like the main theme, but didn't particularly enjoy the ambient track. Good job though!

Thanks! The ambient track was a sound design test, mostly to use as a backing for the theme. I figured each sound could work well in a generic spacecraft and/or alien planet environment.
SoundCloud - all sorts
CaptainStarPaw

Postby TerryLikeman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 am

Main theme: It's a bit heavy, almost like its two separate ideas fighting, rather than being used in concert. If I had to pick one, I'd definitely choose the symphonic part. That said, the electronic part would be good to use elsewhere.
Ambience: Keep the background, and move the fiddly-bits into another file for later use. You have the right idea on both of them, but the sound-effect noises you have in there should really be generated by the environment around the player itself, rather than being written into the BGM.

Take away from this that you're definitely going in the right direction, and that what it needs is some careful refinement and a bit of realignment.
TerryLikeman

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm not too sure if it's heavy, but maybe if the two ideas were stretched out a little, it could sit more naturally. I'm trying to throw out concepts quickly. I think the ideas can be merged as one though, it's just a matter of implementation, and if the transitions feel natural/match what you are seeing on screen.

My initial thought process was: I imagined an intro movie, at the very beginning showing the remnants of a space battle, then the camera zooms to a bright blue planet with space stations around it, then taking you on a course swirling around the solar system until eventually arriving at a jump-gate, or showing a ship warp into the distance. After the piano ends, the title screen kicks in and a heavier piece "main theme" starts. The environmental sounds that I generated for both pieces can be played individually, so recording them separately is definitely an option. The refinement process is the fun part!
SoundCloud - all sorts
CaptainStarPaw

Postby TerryLikeman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:49 pm

CaptainStarPaw wrote:I'm not too sure if it's heavy, but maybe if the two ideas were stretched out a little, it could sit more naturally.

Perhaps heavy wasn't the right word. Too... Thick, maybe? To use the best terms I can, there's a dichotomy between the two pieces, and I don't think it necessarily works as well as I think you think it does. Part of it may be instrumentation, as well, as neither part is really any less good than the other, but they just don't seem to fit together. Personal opinion, anyway.
TerryLikeman

Postby CaptainStarPaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 pm

I appreciate what you're saying, and I agree that the two parts are very different. This is by no means finished work btw, merely a quick show of ideas. I'll see what I can do by expanding on the symphonic part as per your suggestion.
SoundCloud - all sorts
CaptainStarPaw

Next

Return to Sound