Test Audio (Ambient Music)

I have no idea where we will take this yet, but we will need it eventually! Background music, lasers, engines, you name it.

Moderator: amplitudeproblem

Test Audio (Ambient Music)

Postby sorda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey Everyone,

I figure I'll just post everything that I make in here just to keep it organized.
Also please note that most stuff posted are demos only and are just rough ideas that I have had. So please let me know what you think is good/bad and then I can go back and adjust stuff and make full length versions of stuff that everyone likes.

Background Music / Ambient

Test Track 02 NEW
Tried a new bass, I think it needs to be a bit raspier though, and I'm not sure how I like the drums in this track.

Test Track 01 (V2) NEW
Updated version of the track below. Made it more melodic and fixed up some of the patterns a bit, still needs some work though.

Test Track 01 (V1)
Messing around with some arps and phasing stuff.

Sound Effects

Beep Sound Effects (V1) NEW
Just some instrumentation beeps, note that the high sweep turned out to be a bit higher than expected so that will need to be adjusted. Also if you want to use the beep (with nothing else) in game, then let me know and I'll clean it up and render it out with only a single beep.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Last edited by sorda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorda

Re: Test Audio (Ambient Music)

Postby TerryLikeman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am

Good news and bad news. Good news is, this is very nice. Bad news is, I'm not sure I'd call this ambient. Background music, yes, but not ambient. And as BGM, it's going to need to be longer. And have more of a melody to it. But, as you've got this far, this is definitely something that can be worked with to form proper BGM.
TerryLikeman

Postby sorda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, you're right, I usually make much more high energy stuff so everything else gets labelled as "ambient". I've just been playing around with different sounds and stuff before committing to actually making a full length track, but I will work on getting the one I posed shaped up a bit. Thanks for your feedback!
sorda

Postby sorda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:58 pm

I updated the main post with some new bgm tracks and beep sound effects
sorda

Postby hobblygobbly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm

EVE Online has an amazing soundtrack of ambient music, perhaps you could draw some form of inspiration from it. They have it all available on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames

Something like this perhaps? It's one of their more melodic tracks: https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/eve-onl ... ame-tracks
hobblygobbly

Postby TerryLikeman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm

I definitely think the new songs fit better. And that beep will be quite useful.
TerryLikeman

Postby sorda » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:29 am

@hobblygobbly - I'll be sure to check that out, thanks for the links!

@TerryLikeman - Thank you, like I said, they still need some polish though
sorda

Postby Airon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Neat.

The first tune(v2) might be a nice highscore tune, if there's a highscore board, or a story cut scene/non-dialogue ingame sequence. Second tune could play well the first time you jump to an awesome location.

Interesting beeps. You never know what the game will need. Will it go for a realistic design with little sound-illustrations of onscreen action ? Will the lack of animation requires more support from the audio ? Will animiation require only punctuations of sound ? And so on.
Airon

Return to Sound