Concept Art Competition

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Concept Art Competition

Postby sanchezman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:00 am

Hi everyone!

So, I've picked up the Sid Meier's Humble Bundle over at http://www.humblebundle.com and I've already got a copy of Civ IV. As such, I will be giving away a copy of Sid Meier's Civilization IV:The Complete Edition to whomever makes the 'coolest' concept art. Concept Art is something that I feel is sorely missing here, and while I know we have no set art direction or anything like that, I just find that concept art is a cool way to get creative juices flowing.

Rules:

Submission: Submit your art to this thread, of course!

Date: I will judge it on Sunday the 16th of February. I will PM the winner a link they can follow to add Civ IV to his/her Steam library.

Criteria: Art will be based on how 'cool' I find it (not the most accurate metric, I know). That means that the winner could be anything from a beautifully rendered 3D image made with $20,000 sofware, or a hastily-scrawled diagram made of fecal matter on a bathroom wall. I don't care what the content is, as long as it is Trillek-related. Give me anything! How would you design your ship? What does space look like while warping? What dastardly aliens or cruel weapons can you dream up?

Good Luck!
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

Re: Concept Art Competition

Postby Krarl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Come on art people! I'm a programmer so I'm happy if I just manage to create something at all, but a real artist could do much better.
It's clipped a little and I can't get the forum to resize it, so just open it in a new tab if you want to see the whole thing.

And sanchezman, I think that this was a good idea, we really need concept art. It would be nice to know what style we will be going for in the game.
Krarl

Postby clonk2u » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:13 am

Here is my submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkglMyH1 ... e=youtu.be

I am not entering the contest, and am not eligible to win, but I made something.
clonk2u

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm

I haven't gotten the hang of blender yet, so I used autocad to do some 2d views of a spaceplane. The pdf is kinda crappy (please ignore the watermark). Trust me, it looks a lot smoother in autocad. Also note I am not an artist. I did this because I agree with sanchezman that we need concept art, whatever it is.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/im9da13tyhe7qaw/Spaceplane%201.pdf
ConnorY71

Postby sanchezman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Okay everyone, I will announce the results later today (US Eastern time zone). You all still have a chance to participate if you can get your art in before I get back from my appointments for the day.
sanchezman

Postby Meisaka » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 am

Not sure about competition, but art is always nice. Here is something I've been messing with the past few days:
http://eciv.net/meisaka/ShipKonsol.png
Took an hour and 50 minutes.
Meisaka

Postby sanchezman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Whoops, I got back really late yesterday, and forgot to post the winner. There will be a time extension to when I get back from class in 2 hours.
sanchezman

Postby ConnorY71 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Looks like Meisaka is going to win... anyone want to make bets?
ConnorY71

Postby Krarl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:56 pm

It looks like he has spent a lot more time on it than me and it's much more detailed, so probably.
Although mine has a background, he only has a foreground object. I got that at least ;)
Krarl

Postby ConnorY71 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 pm

True. Also Meisaka said "not sure about competition" so it looks like you're still in the lead when it comes to winning the prize.
ConnorY71

Next

Return to Art