Cinematic Trailer

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Cinematic Trailer

Postby mmdanggg2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm currently doing a 3D animation course at college and we need to do a project over this year and so I thought it would be a good idea to create a cinematic trailer for Trillek!

Currently I have come up with roughly what the trailer is going to be, and have done storyboards and some concept art for the ship and character.

I will be trying to use copyright free sound/music to not have any issues with that and so if people here think its good enough possibly having it be an 'official' trailer.

If I remember to I will be posting on here how it progresses.

This is my final animation from last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdTTv8M_XwE

edit: ITS DONE, watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmPcaCa7l4
Last edited by mmdanggg2 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What were you expecting, a pie?
mmdanggg2

Re: Cinematic Trailer

Postby Pseudonym » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:23 am

That's some great work, well done!

We of course will have some need for video in the game itself. I envisage a fairly standard animated logo and opening titles, for example. Plus, of course, there will be probably be some motion graphics in menus and menu transitions, and so on.

Great to have you on board!
Pseudonym

Postby mmdanggg2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:27 am

Storyboards and concepts!

http://imgur.com/a/DpDh9

The story boards don't get across the feel of the trailer very well, so I'm hoping for it to be quite fast paced, sparks and dark lighting when he is attacked... that sort of thing!
mmdanggg2

Postby Pseudonym » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:00 am

mmdanggg2 wrote:The story boards don't get across the feel of the trailer very well, so I'm hoping for it to be quite fast paced, sparks and dark lighting when he is attacked... that sort of thing!

Presumably you could edit it into an animatic? Not saying you should, of course...
Pseudonym

Postby mmdanggg2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:43 am

I'm not asking for help, any suggestions for improving it would be nice. It is more just to let people know that I'm doing this and if the team wants to use it when it's done they can.

Also if people are wondering; i am using 3ds max 2012
mmdanggg2

Postby mmdanggg2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Textured the inside of the ship and started work on the space suit!

http://imgur.com/a/ANt7b
mmdanggg2

Postby DarkSpartan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm

Manual controls, please.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Please don't have sparks flying everywhere like in most space sci-fis. Having the monitor explode is believable, but massive sparks bursting out of the walls just annoys me. One of the things Notch wanted in 0x10c was realism.
I like the flickering/darkened lighting idea, though. That will definitely set the mood.
ConnorY71

Postby hamachicide » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:21 am

Not to be a debbie-downer, but I feel as though the plot of the proposed cinematic sounds really generic (see the one for Squadron 42/Space Citizen; it's almost identical with the whole "oh no the space pirates and the oh we oh oh oh oh escape aaaah combat science fiction" [youtube]. It would be better to try and convey what makes Trillek different, and the openness and impressive scale that is trying to be accomplished. Probably something that begins with some mundane cockpit actions like typing some stuff or fixing an engine, and then some sort of zoom type thing with an emphasis on explorability and multiplayer. Overall less pirates. Also probably some sort of joke or pun or reference to 0x10c would be good as the bleak airlock suicide ending comes of pretty freaking morbidly.

Just my two cents
hamachicide

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:10 am

hamachicide wrote:the bleak airlock suicide ending comes of pretty freaking morbidly.

Just my two cents

That's no suicide. he's got his spacesuit on, so he must be hoping to float somewhere where he can get a new ship.
Tamer

Next

Return to Art