Lets get some concept art in here!

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Lets get some concept art in here!

Postby Dingo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 pm

kingbirdy wrote:
salamano wrote:I've noticed people talking about potentially not using textures for quite a while now. I think maybe Notch said something about it a while ago? Anyway, I threw together a quick scene to illustrate what this might look like. (I'm not embedding the image because the left side was being cut off when I tried.)

http://imgur.com/31iYLHl

I like this art style because its relatively easy to make and easy on the video card. (Although I have a few to many lights casting shadows in this scene for it to be possible in a game.) It's also fairly uncommon in modern games, so we could get the "retro" appearance without necessarily looking like Quake. The downside is that, without any direct control over the appearance of ships, since they will presumably be built by the players, it might be difficult to tell what things are supposed to be. Textures would make it much easier to see, at a glance, what various ships and parts are and what they do.

It's a really cool style, and I think it has its place, but I think that place is in starfox clones, not here.

I would hazard to say that we should be looking at some fine low-res textures. I'm not talking minecraft, but definitely something easy on the computer/easy on the eyes. No texture kind of leaves us at a loss for creativity and aesthetic.
Dingo

Postby Dingo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 pm

concept art for ship decks, interior spaces, and a generic spaceship.
Dingo

Postby SirAwesomelot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:57 am

Dingo wrote:I would hazard to say that we should be looking at some fine low-res textures.

This has been discussed before, and I'm pretty sure that's the plan. We're going to carry on a style similar to Notch's original prototype.
http://0x10c.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/akByX.jpeg
SirAwesomelot

Postby Dingo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 am

SirAwesomelot wrote:
Dingo wrote:I would hazard to say that we should be looking at some fine low-res textures.

This has been discussed before, and I'm pretty sure that's the plan. We're going to carry on a style similar to Notch's original prototype.
http://0x10c.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/akByX.jpeg

yeah, I guess just preaching to the choir :P
Dingo

Postby Spacewhale » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Here are a few images I made that people can use for backgrounds or whatever.

Spacewhale

Postby Hero » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Hero

Postby DarthBotto » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm

You can't miss 'dem volcanic planets!
DarthBotto

Postby Dingo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:58 am

Let's try this one on for size:

Dingo

Postby tanderegg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey all, I'm actually on the Dev group, but I like messing around with Blender too. Here's a image from the helm of one ship, looking at an advanced ship with warp drive capabilities (loosely based on current research into the feasability of warp tech). The blue engine is an ion engine, the two pink ones could perhaps be ramjet engines, and the ring contains the exotic matter required for warp drive. Let me know what you think!

tanderegg

Postby knowlerdraws » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey Bros and Bro-ettes.
Does anyone think 2D animation will be needed in-game?
I'm thinking sprites and the like. Power-ups, Icons, etc.
Additionally, skinning - is that an option? I think I read somewhere that solid colours was generally the idea at this stage - but I'm thinking of those wonderful Descent style skins http://www.industrialtoys.com/wp-conten ... escent.jpg
knowlerdraws

PreviousNext

Return to Art