Lets get some concept art in here!

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Lets get some concept art in here!

Postby salamano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I've noticed people talking about potentially not using textures for quite a while now. I think maybe Notch said something about it a while ago? Anyway, I threw together a quick scene to illustrate what this might look like. (I'm not embedding the image because the left side was being cut off when I tried.)

http://imgur.com/31iYLHl

I like this art style because its relatively easy to make and easy on the video card. (Although I have a few to many lights casting shadows in this scene for it to be possible in a game.) It's also fairly uncommon in modern games, so we could get the "retro" appearance without necessarily looking like Quake. The downside is that, without any direct control over the appearance of ships, since they will presumably be built by the players, it might be difficult to tell what things are supposed to be. Textures would make it much easier to see, at a glance, what various ships and parts are and what they do.
salamano

Postby mrout » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:19 am

Who said we want a game that looks like it came out in 1992?
mrout

Postby salamano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 am

mrout wrote:Who said we want a game that looks like it came out in 1992?

As I said, the untextured idea has been bouncing around for a while. I could find specific examples if you really want me to.

I don't think anyone really wants to try to make something on par with modern AAA standards. It would be a pain for the artists to create all the assets and it would probably be a pain for you to try and program all the bells and whistles of a modern game engine. This leaves making something that looks like we tried really hard for realism but couldn't quite cut it, or some sort of tasteful retro aesthetic.
salamano

Postby mrout » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:16 am

That's ridiculous. There's a huge gap between photorealistic, tried-to-look-realistic-but-didn't and untextured. What on earth makes you think that just because we can't make it look photorealistic we suddenly need to abandon textures or make it look like a game from the early 90s? There's a huge gap between those two that we can settle in.
mrout

Postby salamano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:34 am

OK, so I see you don't like it. Thank you for your input.

If you'll remember, what little we saw of 0x10c from Notch didn't exactly feature modern graphics either. In fact, aside from the lighting, it wouldn't have been out of place in the 90s. Since we all know how that style would look, I figured I'd show people an alternative, but thank you for sharing your opinion.
salamano

Postby ShaneDalton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 am

At the moment art style is heavily indicative on people and resources, I know we have extremely talented people in our team. Although sometimes I worry about putting too much load on our team, we can easily also well... under-use them.
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Postby SirAwesomelot » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 am

Super high-quality textures are a bad move. There's no way our team can manage it.
Absolutely no textures, though, are also a bad idea. Our team can manage a lot more.
Also, textureless models totally don't fit the style of the game.
SirAwesomelot

Postby Pseudonym » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 am

mrout wrote:Who said we want a game that looks like it came out in 1992?

Even if we didn't have textures as such, it wouldn't look like it came out in 1992, because we'd be using modern materials and modern lighting.
Pseudonym

Postby Dingo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 pm

oooh, I'm so excited to submit my work. Gimme some time!
Dingo

Postby kingbirdy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm

salamano wrote:I've noticed people talking about potentially not using textures for quite a while now. I think maybe Notch said something about it a while ago? Anyway, I threw together a quick scene to illustrate what this might look like. (I'm not embedding the image because the left side was being cut off when I tried.)

http://imgur.com/31iYLHl

I like this art style because its relatively easy to make and easy on the video card. (Although I have a few to many lights casting shadows in this scene for it to be possible in a game.) It's also fairly uncommon in modern games, so we could get the "retro" appearance without necessarily looking like Quake. The downside is that, without any direct control over the appearance of ships, since they will presumably be built by the players, it might be difficult to tell what things are supposed to be. Textures would make it much easier to see, at a glance, what various ships and parts are and what they do.

It's a really cool style, and I think it has its place, but I think that place is in starfox clones, not here.
kingbirdy

PreviousNext

Return to Art