We should totally be trying a lot of different styles, but my vote is for a low-poly pixelart style with some fairly advanced lighting (AO, sunshafts, bloom, etc. - all toggleable for weaker GPUs, of course), similar to Eldrone's original mockup: http://0x10c.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/akByX.jpeg
but hopefully with a more interesting color pallet. Here's why:
- It's easy to make good-looking low-poly models, it's easy to make good-looking pixelart. Well, it's a lot easier than a more realistic approach, at least. Lighting is tough to implement, sure, but that only needs to be done once.
- It's way easier to render, which is a huge concern if we're going to be having big ships and giant planets all over the place.
- This style goes with a voxel approach like peanut butter and jelly.
- It looks really, really cool.
- I feel like it fits in very smoothly with the "old tech in a new age" theme we have going with the DCPU.