Consistency in Art Styles

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Consistency in Art Styles

Postby Dingo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi guys, Dingo here.

Right now, how many different art styles are we going for?

I see lots of different ship, envrionment, planet styles already, and we're only a week through this! haha.

What has our usergroup found easiest to work with, as far as modeling, designing, and conceptualizing?

If we can narrow down the art styles that we want to work with, it'll be hella easier for us all to collaborate.

Thoughts?
Dingo

Re: Consistency in Art Styles

Postby sanchezman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:59 pm

In an early stage like this, shouldn't we be trying everything? I don't believe there is a set art style at the moment, but by trying all sorts of things, perhaps one can be found.
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

Postby Dingo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:09 pm

We SHOULD be trying everything! :mrgreen:

This, of course, is an eventuality. Heck, we don't even know what we're working with exactly yet.

I'll just be happy when we can eventually decide on a proper 3d format and scale to use. :)

Of course, that's way down the road right now. We're very young.
Dingo

Postby Styxos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:54 pm

It's creativity :D! We brainstorm around with concept art and so we have a good base later to get into for example race specific things.
Styxos

Postby SirAwesomelot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 pm

We should totally be trying a lot of different styles, but my vote is for a low-poly pixelart style with some fairly advanced lighting (AO, sunshafts, bloom, etc. - all toggleable for weaker GPUs, of course), similar to Eldrone's original mockup:
http://0x10c.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/akByX.jpeg
but hopefully with a more interesting color pallet. Here's why:
- It's easy to make good-looking low-poly models, it's easy to make good-looking pixelart. Well, it's a lot easier than a more realistic approach, at least. Lighting is tough to implement, sure, but that only needs to be done once.
- It's way easier to render, which is a huge concern if we're going to be having big ships and giant planets all over the place.
- This style goes with a voxel approach like peanut butter and jelly.
- It looks really, really cool.
- I feel like it fits in very smoothly with the "old tech in a new age" theme we have going with the DCPU.
SirAwesomelot

Postby mrout » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:13 am

SirAwesomelot: as 'retro' as that looks, and as nice as the aesthetic it, from a graphical perspective it's frankly terrible. It looks plastic.
mrout

Postby Torquoise » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 am

What were you envisaging? I had been imagining that for the game we would be doing something quite similar to what SirAwesomelot said. What other directions can we look at?
Torquoise

Postby mrout » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:32 am

It should look like a modern game. It doesn't have to look like Crysis 3, but we're going to have good-looking planets and environments, so low-poly ships would look out of place.
mrout

Postby Styxos » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 am

@ Sir
1. It's not easy to make good looking low poly stuff its more advanced then sculpting something with unlimited polys.
2. Lowpoly is not the same like pixelart? Why i cant be just normal low poly?
3. Don't connect all content to the voxels, 3d models can look awesome with this stuff too.
4. It's nothing new with pixelart stuff. It's not a shame to let the game differ from others like starmade.
Styxos

Postby Snow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:51 am

-
Last edited by Snow on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snow

Next

Return to Art