Consistency in Art Styles

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Consistency in Art Styles

Postby SunShiranui » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, I agree. I think a retro or minimalist style like that shown on those screenshots would be the right balance between what's practical and what looks good.
And yes, visual consistency should be our priority.
SunShiranui

Postby djetty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

SirAwesomelot wrote:http://0x10c.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/akByX.jpeg

Not digging the pixel art textures. I like the idea of having very minimal textures, with a lot of the detail just coming from bump mapping. Instead of defining light/dark seams in the objects with pixelly textures, I think this could be portrayed more interestingly by actual 3D depressions and protrusions.
djetty

Postby SirAwesomelot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:17 pm

That sounds like it might be interesting, but the game is pretty complicated, and minimal textures might not convey enough information about what the object is (especially if we use voxels, which would mean that things could be pretty much any shape).
Do you have an example, though?
SirAwesomelot

Postby ChemicalRascal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 am

I'd be keen to see examples as well, although something like that sounds particularly alien in terms of methodology. I'd be concerned that, regardless of how it looks, it might be way too foreign for most of the art crew.
ChemicalRascal

Postby djetty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:50 pm

I actually don't have any examples offhand, but I guess you guys are right. It was just a thought, and I'm sure more conventional methods would be a lot easier to create/implement.

As for the discussion of polygon count, I think low-poly will go a long way - not to have some kind of "retro" aesthetic or anything like that, it's just that I'd like to see the game have a tight, minimal art style where not a single visual aspect is wasted or unnecessary. I definitely don't think we should place "low-poly for the sake of being low-poly" above having necessary details and visual cues, I just think that we should lop off any extraneous stuff and never go overboard where it's unnecessary.
djetty

Postby hamachicide » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:39 am

mrout wrote:
SirAwesomelot wrote:I guess it's your call, but be careful, because this is something that could totally make or break the game. I'd rather have good (or even just decent) pixel art than a failed attempt at photorealism.

I absolutely 100% agree.

I absolutely agree 100% agree 100% absolutely

btw I'm a huge fan of your rants - in the least sarcastic way possible

The lowpoly thing would definitely be a stylistic decision: it shouldn't and isn't a matter of "can we pull dis off meng?": even if we wanted to make it look like crysis for some reason, I'm sure that's something that could be pulled off.

From a perspective of unlimited resources and talent, I still think doing a stylized design would be much more visually appealing. One of my favorite games of all time is "golf?" or "golf questionmark", which is extremely stylized but looks better than probably all indie games that try so hard to be what they shouldn't be.
I don't really know what else to say. I think games are art and not some nebulous other thing. The whole idea of the customizability and such is better portrayed by a a minimalist type art style than a "look at all of our pixels we have so many pixels and triangles and vectors and polygons and particle effects; look at the nation state economies we deregulated to fund our mocap dot program and all of dust particles simulated down to a level that does not actually exist in reality".
hamachicide

Previous

Return to Art