Who can draw the creepiest space bug!

All that pretty stuff that we so desperately need. Even if it's just an idea or some concept art.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Who can draw the creepiest space bug!

Postby Dingo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:56 am

not really a bug per se, but creeps!
Dingo

Postby IvanMolnar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am

Quite nice desing :)
IvanMolnar

Postby Jerbeh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Here is a quick drawing of a generic space bug monster thing

Jerbeh

Postby JTxt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Nice, sort of like a meaner tremulous tyrant. I really like the style.

I think this topic belongs in discussions or ideas until space bugs are confirmed though-- in a plan and we have a bit more detail.
(Personally I think spaceships/vehicles that can be completely customized and programed to fight is better than set creatures... But if Spore was gpl, sure, then maybe integrate the creature editor. :) I mean no! That would be bloat! No more feature creep! a mod later perhaps though.)
JTxt
Art Lead

Postby Dingo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:29 pm

JTxt wrote:Nice, sort of like a meaner tremulous tyrant. I really like the style.

I think this topic belongs in discussions or ideas until space bugs are confirmed though-- in a plan and we have a bit more detail.
(Personally I think spaceships/vehicles that can be completely customized and programed to fight is better than set creatures... But if Spore was gpl, sure, then maybe integrate the creature editor. :) I mean no! That would be bloat! No more feature creep! a mod later perhaps though.)

Reeelaaaax, we're just drawin' out some bugsies. :mrgreen:
Dingo

Postby Iustum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:58 pm

This is my idea for a creature if you could board enemy ships. Figure 1 points to the belly of the captain, where loot besides his gun would be displayed. Figure 2 points to a gun that could be randomly selected from a multitude of guns, and would add variation to battles with this creature. Figure 3 points to a 3rd eyeball that could be removed for the final character model.
Attachments
SpaceBugCaptain Concept.png
SpaceBugCaptain Concept.png (118.99 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Iustum

Postby Torquoise » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm

This one is actually a little like Jerbeh's in terms of legs and shape.
I can also post the full PSD with all the layer information so people can muck around with the colour and what not if anyone wants.
Torquoise

Postby Styxos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm

My space "bug" /"alien" is at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39
Styxos

Postby Talvi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 am

I have a "space bug" that I wrote into a story... and modded into Dwarf Fortress. It's not really anything official, so it could probably get used here. I'm an absolutely horrible artist, so you'll have to bear with me as I try to describe it. It's hardly "art", but there were so few examples here I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw mine in too.

THIS IS ONLY ONE HALF OF IT. I'm okay with digital photomanipulation, but when it comes to drawing, I flat out suck. There's no room for flattery or encouragement here.
They're loosely designed after the praying mantis. Remember this was an actual creature I designed and modded into Dwarf Fortress. I wanted it to be deadly, soooo...

Their upper arms are long, thick, curved scythes, sharp on the inside edge. The claw at the end of each scythe, (not really claws, or tentacles, but I have no idea what to call it - I haven't seen anything like it in real life before) is capable of literally stabbing into an enemy's body, and opening up inside their body cavity, holding onto the insides like barbs. Following this they can shake their foe around and cause massive internal damage. (Remember, Dwarf Fortress. and I was cruel to my dwarves.) The "tentaclaw" on the scythes also doubles as a set of hands, for the purpose of grasping. Their legs are literally spikes. Their claw arm isn't good for much besides scratching and loosely holding items. Their teeth, however... A triple set of snake dentaries (I may be spelling that wrong, but I basically mean one half of a snake's lower jaw) rings their mouth, with all three sets closing to mesh close together.

The skin is chitinous, like a crab's outer armoring, and can be different colors, mostly dark shades of gray, brown and green... It would be easy for one to hide in a poorly-lit area, if it held still. Should add to the creepy factor - or I would hope it would. The creature has NO EYES. I wanted eyes, but then realized that given the scenario I'd posed for them, eyes were pointless. Their technology would be therefore wholly alien to anyone from earth. They have auditory patches on their legs, and other sensory patches on the backs of their scythes. They have tympanic membranes in small, sheltered areas along their lower body, allowing them to hear in not two, but three dimensions. They're hunters, more or less - or they were at some point in their evolutionary cycle. To make up for the lack of eyes, I basically wrote their senses off as being far more powerful than an ordinary human's, so that they would be able to stand on equal ground with sighted species.

also, random, I invented a language for them. Linguistics is a hobby of mine, insofar as fictional languages go.

Anyway, there you go! Creepy bug that you have to assemble in your mind because I'm a horrible artist.
Talvi

Postby Pseudonym » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 am

Talvi wrote:I'm okay with digital photomanipulation, but when it comes to drawing, I flat out suck.

It looks like a pretty good animation rig, though..
Pseudonym

Previous

Return to Art