Reading: Voxel terrain storage

About the actual programming of the game.

Reading: Voxel terrain storage

Postby croxis » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 am

Seed of andromida is a minecraft-like boxel game set on a spherical planet.

LInk: http://seedofandromeda.com/devlog.php

Reddit discussion on the blog: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comment ... oxel_game/
croxis

Re: Reading: Voxel terrain storage

Postby VladVP » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Lol, I've followed that project since the first episode, and have since befriended(-ish) Ben. He is a great guy.

In Trillek, I think we should have octree chunks. I.e. a chunk consists of 8 subchunks, which each consist of 8 subchunks, which each consist of 8 subchunks, et.c...
The question is just how far we should go... generating the octree shouldn't be too complicated.
VladVP

Postby S0lll0s » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:56 pm

VladVP wrote:Lol, I've followed that project since the first episode, and have since befriended(-ish) Ben. He is a great guy.

In Trillek, I think we should have octree chunks. I.e. a chunk consists of 8 subchunks, which each consist of 8 subchunks, which each consist of 8 subchunks, et.c...
The question is just how far we should go... generating the octree shouldn't be too complicated.

I wouldn't call them subchunks, because chunks are a "linear" structure and octrees aren't (idk how to describe it), I think you mean we have a lot of chunks which each contain one octree (which contains 8 octrees who contain 8 octrees who.....).
The chunks have coordinates assigned to them for loading, which makes them non-voxels.
S0lll0s

Postby wrongu » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Smoothing out seams where different levels of detail meet (without terrain "popping") is always tricky.
I've heard good things about this guy's work: http://tulrich.com/geekstuff/sig-notes.pdf
wrongu

Postby VladVP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:08 pm

S0lll0s wrote:
VladVP wrote:Lol, I've followed that project since the first episode, and have since befriended(-ish) Ben. He is a great guy.

I wouldn't call them subchunks, because chunks are a "linear" structure and octrees aren't (idk how to describe it), I think you mean we have a lot of chunks which each contain one octree (which contains 8 octrees who contain 8 octrees who.....).
The chunks have coordinates assigned to them for loading, which makes them non-voxels.

Oh, wait you misunderstood me! We're still working with voxels, it is just the way they're generated and loaded into memory.
VladVP

Return to Code