Re: What are you working on? How far have you got?

About the actual programming of the game.

Postby Zardoz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 am

I think that , or I not expalined well, or you understand other thing. What I try to explain if a guy, only can compile a project using his favorite IDE, becasue he don't understand something basic like :
Code: Select all
make config
make all

or
Code: Select all
mkdir build
cmake ..
make

If someone before reading a bit, can't understand that doing it he compiles the project, he can't be very useful. I'm not talking of doing more complex stuff, all build systems have his dirty tricks and dark corners, and not all people can be master of every one.

PD: What problem have you with makefiles ? If you are doing something that isn't complex, and you not need to think about cross-plataform, they are enough good to do the job.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Pseudonym » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:29 am

I would like to reiterate that while we're not planning to ship Java code as part of the game (and IMO it would be unwise to do so), there's no reason why Java couldn't be part of the tooling.

A lot of the code that we will use internally inevitably has different constraints on it from code that we ship. It needs to run on the machines of our own designers, which means it needs to be extremely robust and cross-platform from the beginning, and extremely simple to deploy and undeploy. We don't want to use lots and lots of languages, but Java is quite popular as these things go, and ticks many of the boxes. If we have a critical mass of Java people who are willing to pitch in, I don't see the problem.
Pseudonym

Not really sure what to call this

Postby mrout » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 am

Note: Split derailed thread.
mrout

Re: Re: What are you working on? How far have you got?

Postby mrout » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 am

KnightVision: That's good to know, though of course not particularly relevant in the long run except for tools - the game won't be in .NET no matter how well Mono supports it.

But there's no reason we have to write all our tools in C++. C#? Java? Python? As long as they work, it doesn't matter what they're written in.
mrout

Previous

Return to Code