Oculus Rift Support?

About the actual programming of the game.

Oculus Rift Support?

Postby master565 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:49 am

It may be extremely early to decide on this, but what do you guys think about the game supporting Oculus Rift headsets?
master565

Re: Oculus Rift Support?

Postby ChemicalRascal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:25 am

I'm not completely up to swing on the tech, but if supporting that doesn't limit what we can do with the engine for people who aren't using ORs, sure, I have no problem with that. I doubt that Development would want that as a main focal point of development at any stage, but if it's not complex to do, it might be an idea for someone to do on the side at some point.
ChemicalRascal

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 am

If someone will buy me a dev kit, I'll be happy to evaluate it.
Pseudonym

Postby mrout » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am

I don't see why not. Not a development priority, as it's something we can always do later, but if we have someone with a dev kit we can probably do it.

(admin: moved to Code forum)
mrout

Postby ItWasLuck » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 pm

My roommate has will have a dev kit in a few weeks (long before we'll need to work on it) so it shouldn't be a problem. Not to mention it's not particularly hard to do, as there are samples all over the place.
ItWasLuck

Postby jherico » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 am

I've got a dev kit, write a blog on software development for the Rift ( http://rifty-business.blogspot.com ) and participate on the Oculus Rift development boards.

The primary concern with supporting the Rift (or any stereoscopic system) is making sure that your rendering code is well isolated from non-rendering code, and that it's easy to change toggle from rendering a single viewpoint every 'frame' to rendering the same scene from two different viewpoints. You also need to make sure your rendering engine can target an FBO so that you can then re-render the resulting texture with the non-linear transform that the Rift requires. I would expect that any rendering engine that targets OpenGL 3 or higher would end up allowing an arbitrary number of post-processing effects by chaining shaders together in exactly this fashion in order to allow for various effects like bloom, tilt-shift, depth of field, etc... I don't expect Trillek to be any different.
jherico

Postby Pseudonym » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 am

jherico wrote:The primary concern with supporting the Rift (or any stereoscopic system) is making sure that your rendering code is well isolated from non-rendering code, and that it's easy to change toggle from rendering a single viewpoint every 'frame' to rendering the same scene from two different viewpoints.

I'm certainly trying to design that in from the start. Also, a new version of Torque is set to be released later in the month, which promises development tools which work on all three platforms that we're targeting at first (Linux, Windows and OS X). Since that was one of the main blockers to using a pre-existing engine, a few of us are planning to evaluate it to see if it will suit Trillek's needs, possibly with modification.

jherico wrote:You also need to make sure your rendering engine can target an FBO so that you can then re-render the resulting texture with the non-linear transform that the Rift requires.

Again, that is part of the plan, given that you need it for HDR and other post-processing effects anyway.
Pseudonym

Return to Code