What are you working on? How far have you got?

About the actual programming of the game.

Re: What are you working on? How far have you got?

Postby catageek » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I am currently working on the Model part of Sigma, i.e the World data storage (currently only orientation and absolute position) and their access methods.

I structured the data layout in memory to respect the vectorization paradigm and improve memory transfer bandwith when iterating over the array, and I duplicated the storage in a map to improve responsiveness when doing a request by entity id.

I implemented the "Absolute to Relative" function that is heavily vectorized.

I had to swith to inline asm when using SSE, since the intrinsecs caused an overhead with a additional memory fetch that I could identify (I recommend you the free tool CODEXL if you have an AMD). Since inline asm is compiler-dependant, I am currently producing SSE inline code for gcc (AT&T syntax). doing the same for VS (Intel syntax) will be a TODO. Naturally, if the CPU does not support SSE, the scalar version is used in place. Also, an AVX version should be done also, but I don't have a CPU supporting it.

I have some questions regarding code using CPU capabilities:
- Do we compile a version for each technoly used (i.e SSE, AVX, etc.) or do we detect capabilities at runtime ?
- If the answer to the above is "yes", how do we integrate specific code in the source (#include or or code surrounded by #ifdef #end) ? where to put the source files ?
- Do we stick to a compiler to avoid duplicate builtin code (such as cpu detection code or asm inline) ? Is gcc enough widely used to stick to it ?
- If the answer to the above is "no", how do we integrate specific code in the source (#include or or code surrounded by #ifdef #end) ? where to put the source files ?
- Does someone has a nice cpu detection capability code that compiles and works everywhere ?
catageek

Re: What are you working on? How far have you got?

Postby Nadrieril » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm

I am currently working on simulating and generating solar systems.
That will include simulating the movement of asteroids and ships on large scales inside a solar system (not collisions though).

I have just started to code and I have a first layout.
I don't know how this can be integrated with the rest of the code of the game but I'll try to make something useful.

If you want to see my code just ask.
Nadrieril

Previous

Return to Code