Emulating computers

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

Emulating computers

Postby ubernox » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 pm

So, how will computers be emulated in-game?

I'm worried specifically about the TR3200, which has more RAM than the DCPU. The complexity of peripherals is also a possible problem, but I think -in general- that the TR3200 is a very resource-intensive computer. In a particularly well-trafficked server, there might be very many CPUs. Put that on top of the various other things the server needs to take care of and you have a laggy server.

So, what should be put done serverside and what should be done clientside?
...fatty.
ubernox

Re: Emulating computers

Postby croxis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Everything should be done server side. If anything is trusted to the clients then there is a good chance of cheating. Using Zardoz benchmarking software my 2GB linode VPS was able to run about 700 cpus in one thread.
croxis

Postby ubernox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 pm

croxis wrote:Everything should be done server side. If anything is trusted to the clients then there is a good chance of cheating. Using Zardoz benchmarking software my 2GB linode VPS was able to run about 700 cpus in one thread.

But the server will also need to do plenty else(prevent cheating, generate planets, other stuff)and I'm worried that smaller servers won't be able to handle all the operations they'll need to do.
...fatty.
ubernox

Postby croxis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Anything is just a guess. This is why I encourage benchmarking along the way.
croxis

Postby Kaluce » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:57 am

I really don't think this will be as bad as one would expect. First trillek will be a niche game, and if there is going to be a dedicated server, I fully expect there to be a ton of them, like gmod, mine craft, rust, etc. perhaps some sort of long term purge could be in effect if a person doesn't play for a period like a month. This would prevent spawn once and leave players from remaining on a server.
Kaluce

Postby Zardoz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:14 am

Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Return to Discussions