how much of a planet can you explore?

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

Re: how much of a planet can you explore?

Postby Krarl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:23 pm

As long as the terrain isn't modified you only have to store a single number which us used as seed to the random algorithm.
As for users being able to scale the whole systems down, more balance problems would appear. Suddenly the fuel you have is enough to go much "farther", than if everything was realistically spaced. But I guess only the planets could be shrunk, maintaining the distance?
Krarl

Postby Nadrieril » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:22 am

Choosing the scale of the world before generation would allow a rescaling of resources too, like fuel consumption. It wouldn't make a unique user experience across servers, though...
Nadrieril

Postby DaveSparhawk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 am

Do we need planets with atmosphere to be navigable? Re-entry is not that easy for an interstellar vessel. Freelancer allowed players to dock at stations above planets. We could do the same with the need to build these relay ports. We might still be able to have moons and asteroids in good detail that have low enough gravity to land safely.
DaveSparhawk

Postby ConnorY71 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 am

DaveSparhawk wrote:Do we need planets with atmosphere to be navigable? Re-entry is not that easy for an interstellar vessel.

Mining (and other resource gathering) and possibly NPC interaction will require landing on planets. The main craft could stay in orbit while a shuttle goes down to the planet's surface. If you've seen Avatar it's what they do after arriving at Pandora. I think atmospheric entry and landing would add a nice challenge to the game.
ConnorY71

Postby Tamer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:56 pm

I think it would be best if players themselves didn't land on planets. let them send mining drones down to do the dirty work.
Tamer

Postby Yowen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:32 pm

That's probably a crasy idea, but spaceships in geostational orbit could deploy a space elevator.
It would be like a diving bell, but adapted for atmospheric entry.

It would be very useful as one could descend to any kind of planet / asteroid from any angle, with minimal energy cost.
Yowen

Postby BonQ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:45 pm

We could model few small, medium, and big maps, with generated props and maybe dungeons to explore, for example on "big" planet you have access to 3 medium maps. Map could be bordered by mountains or crystal.
Players could get to planet by capsule and then providing parts to mining equipment from theirs spaceships in form of drones. We could add mini-game about building equipment, and of course they should be able to program equipment.

If you guys played Colobot you would know what I mean.
BonQ

Postby ConnorY71 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:01 pm

BonQ wrote:If you guys played Colobot you would know what I mean.

I've never played Colobot, but Metroid Prime 3 had exploration on specific parts of planets too. While it suited that game, I would prefer that the only boundaries to exploration in Trillek be created by the player's lack of suitable equipment.
ConnorY71

Postby BonQ » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:25 am

ConnorY71 wrote: I would prefer that the only boundaries to exploration in Trillek be created by the player's lack of suitable equipment.

I agree that players could explore more if they only will have suitable or good enough equipment for that, but how much do they really going to explore after setting colony or mining equipment and how big should be planet (map) to explore ?

What kinds of things player could encounter on each planet ?

What kind of stuff can we do to attract player to planet and when he could leave from there?

I like idea of player going to the planet to do staff setting up equipment or factories to create drones for mining. After setting up everything player could go explore or go back to his ship by capsule or diving bell and after a few minutes/hours drones could export mining stuff from planet to the ship cargo if the ship will be on the orbit or just storage goods until capsule land to the planet.

OFT: Guys you really should play Colobot (Ceebot). It's old game and for learning how to program in C, but is good start up point for world exploration :D
BonQ

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:49 am

Is this it?
Apparently buying a copy is around €60. I think I'm going to look for a free version...
ConnorY71

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions