Spaceship building method

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

Spaceship building method

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm

I didn't see another topic for debate on this, although I know it is a subject frequently talked about, so I made one.

My suggestion is that players can assemble ships room by room, deciding their size and what sort of equipment and windows and such are in each one before moving on to make the next room.
your thoughts?
Last edited by Tamer on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamer

Re: Spaceship building method: voxels vs. meshes

Postby croxis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 am

There are pros and cons to having premade hulls vs user created hulls. Voxels vs mesh is the wrong question (voxels are rendered to meshes anyway....)

When players encounter a ship they will try to make some quick initial observations based on the other ship's silhouette. Predefined hull shapes give a lot of information to the player with a quick visual (be it line of sight, through a telescope, or maybe a radar profile system). "Oh thats a firefly class -- those are transports." "Oh thats an x-wing class, thats a fighter"* Doesn't mean the ship didn't go through a expensive retrofit for alternative capabilities, but the player will be able to quickly evaluate the capabilities of another ship with their preexisting knowledge of the different hull types in the game.

On the other hand one of the core game experiences is the long term relationship of the player and their ship. Being able to iterate over the ship's design, layout, and equipment to improve it and better serve the gameplay needs of the player. My personal expectation is that ship combat has a high survival rate and that players will probably never own/operate more than two or three at once, so creating a new ship from scratch is a rare event for a player.

Game progression is another factor. In the elite style games the player starts with a used, inherited clunker and then buys/sells ships up a progression path. With our progression pathway focused more on players optimizing their ship it doesn't make a lot of sense for players to spend too much time creating something from scratch.

And there is realism. I am hard pressed to find someone who built their car from scratch. Even those who "like working on cars" get some old beat up clunker and add/fix/replace parts as needed.

The best I came up with was what I put in my DD. Hulls were preexisting. They had an internal superstructure and hard point system which rooms were attached to. Players could have these rooms rearranged or replaced for a hefty price in a spacedock (rooms in turn had hardpoints for the player to install equipment to define the room's function).

*because someone is going to have reading comprehension issues: no I am not saying we should have fireflys and xwings in the game. Its just an example of a person looking at something and using their existing knowledge to identify the ships role and estimate its capabilities without relying on any game engine ui magic.
croxis

Re: Spaceship building method

Postby Ravener96 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

is there any way to make the ship be built out of "modules" like in KSP and make them parametric so you can increase the length of a body module and widen an engine mount? if we could work with premade hullparts and connectors and just modify lengths and widths to have the wanted amount of "room squares" and floors available inside.

i think the best way to go is that you draw your rooms on a grid and and every square is as tall as is considered "room height" like in sims and the outside hull is premade in parts.

it's late and i'm tired, sorry if i forgot to grammar and/or forgot to logic.
Ravener96

Postby Tamer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

I was thinking the ship would already have the rooms inside and what you would do is add/take away walls and equipment in a grid. I like the idea of premade hulls and being able to identify classes of ships from a distance.
Tamer

Postby Chance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Ravener96 wrote:is there any way to make the ship be built out of "modules" like in KSP and make them parametric so you can increase the length of a body module and widen an engine mount? if we could work with premade hullparts and connectors and just modify lengths and widths to have the wanted amount of "room squares" and floors available inside.

i think the best way to go is that you draw your rooms on a grid and and every square is as tall as is considered "room height" like in sims and the outside hull is premade in parts.

I think i found a way to do what he is suggesting,but I do not know if it will work programming wise(I am not a programmer).

Lets say you have this shuttle pod sized ship(that clunker you've been discussing) and you make/buy the hypothetical module swa (small weapon attachment) and while your landed on a moon, in space dock, or some other place you would be able to go to the outside of your ship and place the swa any where you want (like a sticker). It becomes a platform for any weapon that fits the module. It doesn't stop there you could use a different module lets say ssd (small ship door) and ad another room/hallway/structure on that module, at any angle, at any size. the original shuttle pod doesn't even need to be the center of the ship. This would allow for an almost infinite amount of ship-designs and styles. This is supposed to be a sandbox isn't it
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby Tamer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:31 am

ship add-ons would make it harder to identify classes of ships.
Tamer

Postby Ravener96 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Chance wrote:
Ravener96 wrote:is there any way to make the ship be built out of "modules" like in KSP and make them parametric so you can increase the length of a body module and widen an engine mount? if we could work with premade hullparts and connectors and just modify lengths and widths to have the wanted amount of "room squares" and floors available inside.

I think i found a way to do what he is suggesting,but I do not know if it will work programming wise(I am not a programmer).

Lets say you have this shuttle pod sized ship(that clunker you've been discussing) and you make/buy the hypothetical module swa (small weapon attachment) and while your landed on a moon, in space dock, or some other place you would be able to go to the outside of your ship and place the swa any where you want (like a sticker). It becomes a platform for any weapon that fits the module. It doesn't stop there you could use a different module lets say ssd (small ship door) and ad another room/hallway/structure on that module, at any angle, at any size. the original shuttle pod doesn't even need to be the center of the ship. This would allow for an almost infinite amount of ship-designs and styles. This is supposed to be a sandbox isn't it

i was thinking that you build your ship from premade "slices" that you can stretch to the desired lengths and widths. you attatch weapon mounts and lights and so on on the available surfaces.
Ravener96

Postby Chance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:31 am

Tamer wrote:ship add-ons would make it harder to identify classes of ships.

Tamer custom ships would raise the suspense and tension when two players who don't know each other meet. You don't know what the other ship is capable of, or what the other guy, or girl, is going to do, and if you read this thread http://forum.trillek.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=472 you will see that the argument in that thread is going in the direction of a combination of pre-made and custom ships. This is how I think it is going work best. Beginners buy cheap pre-made ships, that they can upgrade but not modify, and then as they continue to play they can switch to a custom built ship if they choose to. That they can add-on and modify as they please

And on another note, Ravener96 you just explained what I spent all day trying to figure how to explain, in two sentences no less, that is epic, and sorry if i just repeated what you said, I have never played that game.
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Return to Discussions