To PvP, or not to PvP. That is the question.

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

To PvP, or not to PvP. That is the question.

Postby DarkSpartan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:13 pm

In one of the rarer cases in my design process, there comes a point in which I have to ask the occasional question, and this is one that gets brought up a lot.

Do we want PvP, and to what degree? It splits into three schools of thought:

1) All servers are a PvP free-for all,

2) Some servers are set aside for the PvP crowd (individual server owners get to pick),

or

3) No PvP, co-op multiplayer only.

I expect a lively debate, and I'm going to ask in advance that you not get nasty. Nastiness will result in the closure of the thread as soon as a mod catches it. Keep it civil.

Be aware than in all cases, there will be PvE content. The question is whether or not another player can come beat you up for your lunch money.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Re: To PvP, or not to PvP. That is the question.

Postby wrongu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Depending on how ships/machines and terrain interact, it may be difficult or impossible to distinguish between PvE (blowing up an asteroid) and PvP (blowing up an asteroid that somebody built a base on). It would be incongruous to allow weapons to damage other players' ships and asteroid-bases, but to disallow players from directly firing a weapon at another player. Then again, maybe we shouldn't abandon the "line" just because it's difficult to find where to draw it.

ASSUMING PvP can be detected and then properly mitigated, option 2) seems like the obvious choice to me.
wrongu

Postby croxis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Pvp will exist regardless -- ship bumping, launching people out of airlocks, etc even if option 3 is taken on. By default #2 is the best option, but then design considerations have to account for both.

I don't know how much economics is planned, but to have an economy there must be sinks. This is partly why advanced economies are only seens in harsher pvp mmos -- not only is capitalism a form of pvp itself, but the loss and damage of items generates the demand that keeps the economy flowing.

One interesting thought experiment is have pvp, but have no hand held guns. This keeps player to player combat a bit more ship to ship, and the boarding situation will require a bit of brain work instead of who has the best reflexes.
croxis

Postby reallycoolnerd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 am

I feel like Pvp is important for the game, mainly for the reason stated above. However I do not think it should be as heavily stressed as other aspects of the game are. But for player interactions, Pvp would force people to establish trust in their teammates, and make first encounters with other players very intense. Who knows what the other is going to do? It would add a layer of suspense to the game.
But still, to cater to everyone, option 2 would be the best haha

croxis wrote:One interesting thought experiment is have pvp, but have no hand held guns. This keeps player to player combat a bit more ship to ship, and the boarding situation will require a bit of brain work instead of who has the best reflexes.

That's an interesting idea, I like it.
Something like that could be done, or people could be given a very generic pistol that is limited on its effectiveness, that way it would only really be used in dire situations.
Simplicity of the design, not complexity of the solution.
reallycoolnerd

Postby DarkSpartan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 am

croxis wrote:One interesting thought experiment is have pvp, but have no hand held guns. This keeps player to player combat a bit more ship to ship, and the boarding situation will require a bit of brain work instead of who has the best reflexes.

Most of everything sci-fi is the fun sorts of guns they've made in the intervening time. Therefore no, we won't be doing this.

I am aware of your desire for a starships-only experience. Not doing that either.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby adam » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:31 pm

This question is kinda a mute point. Since we won't have a central server and it will be more like minecraft people can do whatever they want to their servers.

If some people want a pvp server then they'll have it. What you guys are describing is not just pvp but player to player griefing intentional or otherwise.
adam

Postby JordanZimm » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:10 pm

I like option 2. Perhaps it can be minecraft-like only in that servers can be configured to disallow PvP.

Implementation, however, would be difficult. I don't know if the concept of ship shielding(think Star Trek, or even Halo) has come up but if that were used it could play a huge part in disabling PvP. Say a starter ship begins with an incredibly weak shield generator(absorbs a few damage points, or provides 1% damage reduction, you get the idea). However, on a PvP disabled server any player created shielding would not only be 100% effective at blocking weaponry, it would absorb the laser, missile, whatever so that it is not deflected onto nearby structures or players, all without increasing power consumption or stressing the generator. It would be like it never happened. Players could also establish shield generators around asteroids or other places they'd like to call home.
JordanZimm

Postby croxis » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:31 pm

DarkSpartan wrote:I am aware of your desire for a starships-only experience.

Incorrect. I have no such desire. That is about as far from what I think as one could possibly get.
croxis

Postby amplitudeproblem » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm

My vote is to let server owners configure PvP (and other aspects) as they see fit, much like Minecraft. The more different servers are from one another, the better for the game in terms of diversity and longevity. A spectrum ranging from peaceful (PvP off) to hardcore (you die, you're off the server for a while) would be great. The matter of indirect damage is an interesting one (i.e., chunk of asteroid hits Player B after Player A blows it up), but ultimately I'd say that was not a direct attack and so collateral damage should occur. One of those awful things that could always happen to anyone stuck in outer space. :)
amplitudeproblem
Sound Team Lead

Postby Olenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 am

PvP would be quite fun, boarding and ship-to-ship. But I think that it should be similar to EVE in that there's a security status and high-sec, low-sec, null-sec, etc.

This would work well if it is a large, central, server, which I would like, as I have a history with EVE.

PvP could be allowed in null-sec, which is very away from space stations and important planets, like Earth or something. In low-sec, PvP is not allowed, but people still can PvP, there will be a slower reaction to the PvP and the security forces will react slower. In high-sec, PvP is not allowed, but people still can PvP, but there will be a fast reaction from the security forces. The security areas could be expanded with the colonization of planets and the creation of starbases. However, the sec areas are established slowly. Outlaws could invade the sec areas, the weakest ones, and fight the security forces.

This'll give some explanation.
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Security_Status
These are my half-baked ideas.
Olenji

Next

Return to Discussions