NPC Swearing

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

Re: NPC Swearing

Postby Tamer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 pm

in a sandbox, I don't think there would ever be an appropriate time to swear since the plot is not determined by the programming anyway. it will be very easy to keep that kind of dialogue out.
Tamer

Postby Chance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:01 am

I agree with Tamer on this.
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby sanchezman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:52 am

But it's not about plot, it's about ambiance and a relatable atmosphere. Consider this: All of our goals for game development are met. We find a way to program a vivid and evolving word that adapts to player choices. You have just undertaken an extremely difficult quest that has been dynamically generated. You were supposed to protect a Monolith-class transport ship full of gold across the system, but a pirate horde attacked and you couldn't defend the ship. Now you have to go back to the quest-giver and tell them that you failed. If this were real life, and you just lost millions of tons of gold due to the incompetence of a mercenary you thought you could trust, would you shrug it off with a half-hearted "Oh darn"? Of course you wouldn't. I don't see why, if we are aiming for an organic experience, that we should cut ourselves off at the knees when considering one of the most important parts of the human experience: communication with other humans.
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

Postby Chance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Sanchezman a surprising amount of people (myself included) when we're looking to find a game to buy/download the first thing we look at (besides the trailer) is the rating.
Is the game E, T, or, M and, if it is T or M, we look up why. There are certain T rated games that to certain people should be rated M and there are other people who think vice-versa

Anyway if some people can not really go on without without the NPC's swearing I think the best option would be the fake slang and swear words but, if that doesn't work than why not put a toggle in the options menu to turn on and off the swearing.

although could put a little humor in the game make certain characters instead of swearing make a vague(or otherwise) reference. We could use it to give certain people who have been indispensable to the world of science fiction a little credit. such as

What in the name of George Lucus's Astrodroid is going on.
or
Isaac Asimov's Keyboard, What happened!?
and so forth
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby DaveSparhawk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 am

We should have a post for in game swear words. Like above. I like those graphic but science flavored.
DaveSparhawk

Postby Ganzorf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, I for one hope that aside from robots, animals and a(yy)liens, there are no NPCs. I've always wanted to play a mulitplayer sci-fi game with zilch NPCs, one where the shopkeeper, the asteroid miner, the xenobiologist, and the space pirate are all real players. If there had to be non-player-programmed NPCs (like my programmable robot idea), I'd rather them be a(yy)liens than humans; that way it would make the players feel more special and unique, in the "we are the last of humanity" sort of way.
Ganzorf

Postby Ganzorf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:12 pm

As for swears, I think milder swears like 'damn' and 'shit' would be alright, maybe mixed in with some Firefly-esque "space swears."
Ganzorf

Previous

Return to Discussions