NPC Swearing

Talk about the project. Anything you want, it does not have to be about the actual development.

Re: NPC Swearing

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:32 am

Swearing is very rarely necessary. A good example of it being necessary are in Grand Theft Auto games, where a lack of swearing would perhaps be an immersion breaker (particularly in the hood).

I highly doubt this game will need swearing, and we should probably write to avoid swearing, adding it only if it improves the scene.
IRC: |Andy|
Andrew

Postby Eximius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 am

I'm torn on this. I appreciate the realism of swearing. It IS a fact of life that is unlikely to go away. After all, this is also a complicated game that was originally born out of the idea of coding in assembly on a spaceship. It isn't exactly geared towards children. At the same time, it might be a game to get your children to play to learn programming.

Honestly, I think that we have two good options: 1) "Parents, the game swears. Talk to your children before they play this game." 2) In the language files, have data stored with a swearing and not swearing version. It wouldn't be much extra data. { "phrase" : "You piece of {}.", "swearing" : "shit", "safe" : "trash" }, for example.

I'm not so much for the made up swear words. It's very difficult to do properly. Take "After Earth", for example. They tried to make a new sounding dialect and, from what I heard, it was terrible. In general, language is something worth being unrealistic about because trying to decipher the language is more immersion breaking than just having plain old English.

I'm leaning toward the second option, but I don't have kids so I don't care much either way.
Eximius

Postby croxis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:39 am

Also take farscape, bsg, and firefly. We can give examples either way.
croxis

Postby Eximius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 am

My point wasn't that it's impossible. Just that it's difficult for (often) very little pay off. Weighing the reward over the cons, I would say no to the made up swearing.
Eximius

Postby Talvi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am

Yeah, too much swearing is juvenile, unless there's a really good reason for it. As far as writing goes, though, a very rare use of swearing can punctuate situations a lot better than anything else can, especially if it comes as a surprise to the player/reader. In particular, you have to not be expecting it.

I wouldn't want to put swearing in just so we can say, "this game has swearing"... There has to actually be a reason for it.

As to slang, it'll help with atmosphere, and I definitely consider that payoff. I highly doubt we're going to have voice actors to say all the lines, though, and that'll put a crimp in any slang we try to use - trying to get new slang to sound fluid and natural in a writing context is difficult.
Talvi

Postby croxis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm

I think we have to be careful with any non-standard language anyways. I hate, HATE sci-fi/fantasy authors who use 50 new words in the first chapter. I'm trying to read gardens of the moon and it really sufferes from that problem. Some words are common and intuative enough to figure out, such as "jump" or "warp" for ftl. "Slipping" for ftl would take a bit longer to figure out, and "Drankjorb" for for ftl is just being a jerk.
croxis

Postby Talvi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:37 am

Agreed here. It's way too easy to go overboard with slang. I think we might get away with a few unimportant words here and there. Firefly got away with "shiny" pretty easily, for example. And Lol at the drankjorb example.
Talvi

Postby Chance » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 am

My view on the subject is, made up swear words and slang sounds fine but please try to avoid making the made up swear words sound like something inappropriate, do not use real swear words that's a given in my opinion, and to many people out here who have yet to be desensitized by the world as it is swearing is very offensive and for those people so, i would avoid it.

That's my bit take it or leave it
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby Tamer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

I am against swearing and I think that for some people swearing would definitely be an immersion breaker because many people, including me, would be offended. I am confident it would detract from the game experience considerably.
Tamer

Postby sanchezman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 pm

I think that on the subject of swearing, we could take a lesson from Breaking Bad. I can't remember who it was, but someone high up in the production food chain gave the writers a stipulation that there would be one F-word every season. I think we can all agree that the show had no trouble showing itself as a serious drama despite this limit. The goal was to make it so that the yearly F-bomb would be something special. No matter how messed up the situation was for Walt and Jesse, there could only be one instant where it was so bad that they had to describe it with that fabled expletive. It gave it a lot of meaning when the writers decided to use up their one usage for the season. I think that likewise, we should take a similar approach. Have a hard limit on the number of swear words, and make each and every one count.
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions