Concerning Milestone 2.5's Computer

A place where questions can be asked and answered. Please check here first. If someone else asks a question that you know is here please provide the link to the topic.

Moderators: KontrolKeal, Taneb

Concerning Milestone 2.5's Computer

Postby sleuthyRogue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:05 pm

I just have a few questions about Milestone 2.5's computer.

First, is the current method of using assembly code for programs where the end product computer-wise is leaning?

Second, if it is, where do you guys think I could start picking up the basics for assembly code? If not, should I even bother trying to learn assembly?

Any responses are appreciated.
"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one." - GLaDOS
sleuthyRogue

Re: Concerning Milestone 2.5's Computer

Postby Zardoz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:49 pm

sleuthyRogue wrote:I just have a few questions about Milestone 2.5's computer.

First, is the current method of using assembly code for programs where the end product computer-wise is leaning?

Actually is more a tech demo that other thing. The idea is that you can load programs from a floppy or tape in game, and program it inside of the game. The actual method of loading a program it's like if you write your own BIOS flash with your program what is a hard core thing, and not will be the usual way of doing it (But I aim to allow doing that)

sleuthyRogue wrote:Second, if it is, where do you guys think I could start picking up the basics for assembly code? If not, should I even bother trying to learn assembly?

Actually there is not tutorials about programming the computer. :S I hope that some one try to doing a introduction tutorial to assembly as the instruction set of the CPU is stable. There is some stuff that could be change, probably the keyboard device and the computer architecture.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby sleuthyRogue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm

I don't necessarily mean to imply that this forum has an introduction to assembly, (this is more a site for building the game, not for teaching people) I'm simply asking where I might find a good start. The internet can be a bit vast sometimes, and for some reason assembly code walkthroughs are hard to find.
"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one." - GLaDOS
sleuthyRogue

Postby Krarl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Do you have any programming experience? If not, I think it's best if you learn the basics of that first.
Currently the assembler (converts assembly to machine code) we have is a bit buggy, but if you really want to it works. There are no good documentation of the op-codes, but they should be relatively easy if you already know how to program.
The end goal is to create a C compiler, as writing assembly takes so much time, and for most things it's not needed at all.
Krarl

Postby sanchezman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:42 am

If you want to learn assembly language, keep in mind that assembly is processor-specific. Since there are not TR-3200 tutorials, if you want to learn about assembly, you will have to learn from other processors. While you won't learn TR-3200 specifics, I think that anyone could benefit from learning any type of assembly, since it will give you a very good overview of the aspects of assembly that are the same across the board.

That out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the subject that first got me into assembly: The Nintendo Entertainment System. Game for the NES were written in assembly for the 6502 processor. What cooler way of learning assembly is there than writing games? Here's the first NES tutorial that I used: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155
I believe that it's a great start to assembly. Hell, I've since made several NES games in assembly.

While the 6502 processor is not nearly as powerful as the TR-3200, its strength for beginners lies in its simplicity. A small set of opcodes (http://www.obelisk.demon.co.uk/6502/reference.html), it was a RISC before RISC was a thing.

I say: Learn the basics of assembly by doing something fun, and then the TR-3200 will make more sense.
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

Postby happy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for share tour experience...
Our Actual Exams and Brain Dumps.comgre exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to EXINtoefl
happy

Return to Q&A