Plans for the WordPress theme

Anything to do with Trillek on the web. /r/trillek CSS tweaks for example.

Moderator: Wolfy87

Plans for the WordPress theme

Postby Wolfy87 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:09 am

Here's what I was intending to build, or start building, this weekend.

A clean and highly customisable WordPress theme that supports the full range of content supplied in an example content pack. You should be able to swap out logos and header images via the options page. It could feasably be used for another project entirely.

The header will focus around a larger image based around the theme (SPAAAACE!), a logo and a vertical list of main navigation items to the right. These will have nice little animations by pulling a tab back on mouse over or something.

Under that will be an initially collapsed area FULL of as many links and widgets as we desire. It is basically a tray under the header used for deep linking that can be expanded at will. Any links that need to be one click away will be in the main header list.

I will use SASS as a CSS preprocessor, compass to help it along and SUSY to help create a responsive grid system. Yep, this beast will be responsive.

I'll write any JavaScript vanilla style with a small DOM event shim. I may well add RequreJS to organise it all too.

I'll also setup a build script that concatenates and minifies everything. Once the core theme is done I can drop it into a fresh WordPress install and we can start to add pages and menu items.

I will also lock down / secure the WordPress instance and set up caching plus any SEO style bits that might help. (sitemap comes to mind)

I'm planning on adding disqus integration too and putting a large focus on topography, vertical rhythm and spacing so it will read very nicely.

Suggestions for a few fonts would be cool. Should really have a max of about two.

Sorry for any typos, this was written on a phone on a bumpy train.

Any questions?
Web developer - hosting Trillek's presence on the Internet and constructing the game's UI.

Project Trillek UI
@OliverCaldwell
github.com/Wolfy87
http://oli.me.uk/
Wolfy87
Site Admin

Re: Plans for the WordPress theme

Postby SirAwesomelot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

That sounds pretty bitchin'. Do you need any art assets? Buttons or ... uh ... other things?
SirAwesomelot

Postby Wolfy87 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 am

'Tis pretty bitchin'. I may well do, I'll drop requests in here as and when I need them. Probably stuff like a little triangle corner thing to go in the top right of menu items (I can probably do that one), a few things from Subtle Backgrounds and maybe some icons for expanding the extra navigation tray thing. A lot of the very basic stuff I can do in my peasant GIMP setup though. Or I'll do it with CSS ;)

I'll share my progress and needs as I go, shouldn't be too bad I hope.
Web developer - hosting Trillek's presence on the Internet and constructing the game's UI.

Project Trillek UI
@OliverCaldwell
github.com/Wolfy87
Wolfy87
Site Admin

Postby SunShiranui » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:28 am

It's a bit unrelated, but I'll post my old navbar concept here so that others can see it as well: http://i.imgur.com/uo8Gjhl.png
SunShiranui

Postby danix111 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

SunShiranui wrote:It's a bit unrelated, but I'll post my old navbar concept here so that others can see it as well: http://i.imgur.com/uo8Gjhl.png

I like that.
danix111

Postby illuminatedgeek » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Sounds like a good plan, I really dig that navbar concept. One thing I will say is that if we ever want to do any sort of in-game interactions with the website (stat tracking, free market, that sort of thing) integrating that with WordPress would be somewhat of a challenge compared to something like Drupal or Django. But of course, that's a long-term goal, and getting a good-looking Wordpress instance up and running is certainly quicker than trying to get either of the latter to look good out of the box.
illuminatedgeek

Postby Pseudonym » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:55 am

danix111 wrote:I like that.

I like it too.

Looking through these plans, something occurred to me which I thought should be mentioned. At some point we're going to need to distribute a few fonts along with the game for in-game typography, and it would be nice to maintain some visual similarity between the game and our presence on social media.

To distribute a font with the game, there are three important requirements that go beyond artistic/design demands:

1. It needs to be TTF, because we know how to handle that from a technical perspective.
2. It needs to have a "free enough" licence that we are allowed to ship it.
3. It needs to cover every language that we want to support.

I realise that we're some way from shipping fonts, CJKV language ports and so on. I also realise that the look of the social media presence will no doubt change as the game progresses and so forth. Still, this is the sort of thing that we have to think about.
Pseudonym

Postby Wolfy87 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:39 am

Well I was going to use Google Web Fonts, not sure what the permissions are on that, but it might be perfect.

http://www.google.com/fonts/

Project Trillek UI
@OliverCaldwell
github.com/Wolfy87
Wolfy87
Site Admin

Postby mattr555 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:52 pm

From the Google Fonts about page

All of the fonts are Open Source. This means that you are free to share your favorites with friends and colleagues. You can even customize them for your own use, or collaborate with the original designer to improve them. And you can use them in every way you want, privately or commercially — in print, on your computer, or in your websites.

It looks like we're ok to use them.
mattr555

Return to Web Development