more abstract hardware

All discussions related to the DCPU and in game hardware (equipment, vehicles)

Re: more abstract hardware

Postby Ravener96 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Krarl wrote:Don't think like that.
All the things that I can do someone else here can do just as well or better. But that doesn't mean that there's no point in me helping.
If you don't feel ready for contributing, then you shouldn't. What I'm trying to say is that (almost) all help is appreciated, even if its small, or not very good :)

thanks mate. but really, my code is not great (html), it works, but is cluttered and really basic.
i have contributed some if concept art counts.
Ravener96

Postby wrongu » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:02 pm

To Ravener96, start chatting on IRC. Fork code, read it, mess with it. If you don't know C++, this is an opportunity to learn it, not a prohibitive barrier.

Regarding C as the language, it certainly can't be interpreted or compiled on the server. What's more likely is that the community will come up with their own simple C "compiler" that will output to Trillek (RS3200 or DCPU) assembly. I imagine that a best-practices protocol will emerge for interfacing with hardware, and someone more clever than I will write a "dcpu.h" or "rs3200.h" header-library for standard assembly I/O functions for things like thrusters/shields/other standard fare. In other words: C compilation can be done client-side, and probably in a separate program/IDE (at least to start).
wrongu

Postby Ravener96 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am

wrongu wrote:To Ravener96, start chatting on IRC. Fork code, read it, mess with it. If you don't know C++, this is an opportunity to learn it, not a prohibitive barrier.

Regarding C as the language, it certainly can't be interpreted or compiled on the server. What's more likely is that the community will come up with their own simple C "compiler" that will output to Trillek (RS3200 or DCPU) assembly. I imagine that a best-practices protocol will emerge for interfacing with hardware, and someone more clever than I will write a "dcpu.h" or "rs3200.h" header-library for standard assembly I/O functions for things like thrusters/shields/other standard fare. In other words: C compilation can be done client-side, and probably in a separate program/IDE (at least to start).

ok, c as a native langage of our dcpu has been rejected (and rightly so). abstracting hardware a little is something we are probbably going to do to some extent as simulating the entire computer is quite exessive. cables for example i imagine will work by transfering data from divica a to divice b, my original question were mainly about how far we would take this simplifying of hardware to increase usability. the cpu would for example be able to pull data from the different ports directly if we dont have to think about the internals of the computer. if we take it one further it could pull data straight from the floppy reader without thinking about ports. one further it could find data on the floppy without thinking about the data placement on the floppy.

some of this is probbably incorrect but i think you get the point.
Ravener96

Postby thomas9459 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Ravener96 wrote: if we take it one further it could pull data straight from the floppy reader without thinking about ports. one further it could find data on the floppy without thinking about the data placement on the floppy.

Most of the programming that users would do will not be directly for the CPU itself in assembly (where it becomes import, for example, how files are organized on the disk), but rather in an abstracted programming language, such as C, and let the OS deal with file systems and other tricky computer internals. The only people who would have to deal with such advanced concepts are the programmers that choose to, such as those who want to write their own operating system. This way, the hardware remains realistic, but most users would never have to deal with this complexity. Without a doubt the hardware will be much simpler than it is in real life, but I believe the goal is to make hardware act like it would in the real world from the software sides of things.
thomas9459

Postby VladVP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Why can't we just have IN and OUT instructions?
VladVP

Postby Zardoz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 am

The RC3200 you just LOAD and STORE in a particular addresses...
IN&OUT are good for 8 and 16 bit cpus as you not have a huge address space and the trick of using separate address spaces for I/O and memory is a good idea. But when you have a 32 bit address space, IN&OUT not have any sense.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Previous

Return to Hardware