Floppy Partionning system

All discussions related to the DCPU and in game hardware (equipment, vehicles)

Re: Floppy Partionning system

Postby VladVP » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 am

S0lll0s wrote:
Zardoz wrote:Image

BIOS size and boot sector size not are related. Are very different things, and the BIOS is placed in a ROM chip, not loaded from a floppy !!!!

I didn't say any of those things. Read carefully.

Actually... yes you did... several times.
VladVP

Postby S0lll0s » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

VladVP wrote:
S0lll0s wrote:
Zardoz wrote:Image

BIOS size and boot sector size not are related. Are very different things, and the BIOS is placed in a ROM chip, not loaded from a floppy !!!!

I didn't say any of those things. Read carefully.

Actually... yes you did... several times.

Where? I said that they in my proposal happen to be the same size, but nothing else.
S0lll0s

Postby VladVP » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:49 am

Yes you did...
S0lll0s wrote:If you ship a "vanilla" DCPU application (OS-less) just have the following layout:

Code: Select all
BIOS: 512w, moves itself into back of RAM, then loads sector 0 of floppy into start of RAM, then jumps to 0 (general)
floppy:
  0: Bootloader, moves itself into back of RAM, then loads whatever sectors the program needs (specific, i.e. 1,2,3) into RAM and executes them
  1,2,3: Program
VladVP

Postby S0lll0s » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 pm

I still don't get what you think I said wrong.

The BIOS is 512w. You could have your program in sector 0 or instead have a bootloader in sector 0 that loads a bigger program / does other stuff, because the floppy is easier to modify than the BIOS.
S0lll0s

Postby Zardoz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:41 pm

And why your BIOS concept have the exact size that a floppy sector ??
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby VladVP » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 pm

S0lll0s wrote:I still don't get what you think I said wrong.

The BIOS is 512w. You could have your program in sector 0 or instead have a bootloader in sector 0 that loads a bigger program / does other stuff, because the floppy is easier to modify than the BIOS.

I thought you said that the BIOS is moved to RAM...
VladVP

Postby S0lll0s » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm

VladVP wrote:

Sure, to execute it. You could also declare the BIOS as memory for the time of the boot process but that would mean running in readonly memory.... and it doesn't make sense bc you then can't copy floppy data to memory and run it.
S0lll0s

Postby Zardoz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 am

The BIOS can't be load from a disk !!! The BIOS is a little program that is burned in a ROM chip, can't be updated or uploaded. If you like to replace it, you must replace the entire chip.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby VladVP » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:11 pm

S0lll0s wrote:
VladVP wrote:

Sure, to execute it. You could also declare the BIOS as memory for the time of the boot process but that would mean running in readonly memory.... and it doesn't make sense bc you then can't copy floppy data to memory and run it.

What the actual frig are you talking about? Every CPU starts up by executing the entire ROM drive, and then going to the beginning of the RAM drive upon reaching the end. The point of read-only memory is that it's only supposed to be executed. Not altered.
VladVP

Postby S0lll0s » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Zardoz wrote:The BIOS can't be load from a disk !!! The BIOS is a little program that is burned in a ROM chip, can't be updated or uploaded. If you like to replace it, you must replace the entire chip.

Yeah, and I propose that the BIOS is on a ROM chip that can be flashed (like any IRL chip) using a lot of cost. And instead of expanding the DCPU spec unreasonably (i.e. by introducing a PC that does not point to the memory) I suggest that instead of executing the ROM "directly" it is copied into the beginning of the RAM on poweron and then executed just like anything else.
If this was not the case we would need an extra instruction (or at least an extra flag) to tell the DCPU to switch to "regular memory" when the BIOS is done.
S0lll0s

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware