Suggest rethinking setup.

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Suggest rethinking setup.

Postby Xiar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Project Trillek. So please forgive me if I step on anyone' toes.

I did my best to research everyone's opinion on how the story should be like, but
I want to put out a few ideas I havn't seen anyone talk about and I believe should be part
of the discussion.

How about instead of focusing on warp drives/quantum entanglement how about we keep
the game focused on 1980's technology instead. The fact is, our solar system has more then 166 planets & moons so their is plenty to see. Additionally I don't see many space games that focus on our solar system.

So how do we travel quickly from one part of the solar system to another?
How about an Orion nucular bomb engine? Its a technology they had in the 1980's
and even today is one of the fastest methods we have to travel between planets.
Its also another technology you never see in scifi.

Conflict?
Well, how about a displaced alien race came to our solar system and colonized Titan(jupiter moon) since it met their biological needs (methane rain & silicon heavy soil). This could create conflict but also give an opportunity to add more advanced technology into the game.

I hope this helps!
Xiar

Re: Suggest rethinking setup.

Postby Zardoz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Xiar wrote: colonized Titan(jupiter moon) since it met their biological needs (methane rain & silicon heavy soil).

Titan(jupiter moon)
Titan(jupiter moon)
Titan(jupiter moon)
:o

Titan is a moon of Saturn, my friend...
Also, is a ice world were the temperature are enough low to rain methane and the crust (the solid surface) is water ice. It will be very hard to find silicon there ..,

Xiar wrote: The fact is, our solar system has more then 166 planets & moons so their is plenty to see. Additionally I don't see many space games that focus on our solar system.

As far I know we are focusing on the idea of a big star system, instead of having many star system were to play in a single server.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Xiar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Yah, sorry about my astronomy :P

What do you mean when you say your focusing on a big star system?
Is their anything in my suggestion above you like?

If you could answer these 2 questions, I'll see if i can come up with something better :)
Xiar

Postby ConnorY71 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Xiar wrote:What do you mean when you say your focusing on a big star system?

Instead of having multiple solar systems and interstellar travel the game is going to be set in one star system.
The thing is, this one system is not going to be identical in everyone's game; every system is going to be randomly generated, similarly to worlds in Minecraft. Your story could still work, though. Aliens coming to our solar system could have caused people to flee Earth and look for new worlds, explaining why everyone is in a different solar system to each other.
ConnorY71

Postby Xiar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Ooooh, that explains things a bit.

So basically we need a story that explains why humans are all over the galaxy.
Yah, i think i can see a few ways to improve my story.

Is it fine to assume you arrived to that star system with a colony of other humans, or are we supposing
your the only one?
Xiar

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

We were going to have an infinite world. how can we do that if the player is confined to one solar system?
Tamer

Postby Zardoz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Tamer wrote:We were going to have an infinite world. how can we do that if the player is confined to one solar system?

No FTL or a FTL that is not practical for continues use. Probably we will see something like connected servers like in Minecraft, but it will be more like a mod that the default behaviour.
Also, there practical limits in what can handle a simulation in a server if we aim to scale ~ 1:1 (because that I said BIG star system)
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Xiar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Personally I like to hear their is no FTL. I think its overdone and their is enough to see in one star-system.

I came up with a plausible story on how people in the 1980 were able to head to other star systems, I'm in the
process of writing it. You wouldn't mind if I started a new thread with my modified story?
Xiar

Postby ConnorY71 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Xiar wrote:You wouldn't mind if I started a new thread with my modified story?

A new thread would have been preferred, but since the forums are no longer at the forefront of development it shouldn't be a problem if you make a new one, as far as I know.
Just edit your original post saying that there's a new thread and link where it is.
ConnorY71

Postby Xiar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Here is the the link to new story thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=846
Xiar

Next

Return to Writing