Regarding the Technological Discrepancies Between FTL & DCPU

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Regarding the Technological Discrepancies Between FTL &

Postby evanator66 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 pm

This is the way I see it happening: So humans make FTL, and they have super advanced computers (The absolute lowest was x64) then, a cyberterrorist group let loose a computer virus, but it was only designed to infect x64 and above. Computers that were infected became 'breeding grounds' for the virus which replicated across the modern internet, until there were no x64+ computers left in existence. Then people started making older versions, the DCPU-16 and the TR-3200. The story makes sense, because computer viruses are real, and there are no discrepancies that I can see. It would also be cool to have derelict spaceships, with computers that don't work but can be salvaged for parts. (Unless the virus heated up the computer until vital components melted, that would be hard to salvage. It is possible, it happened to my old computer, it got so hot that the hard drive broke.)
I am from the future... of the past.
evanator66

Postby croxis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 pm

You all know my vote -- just take out ftl.
croxis

Postby Longor1996 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Just an idea:
How about saying that the FTL-Engine sends out a lot of Electro-Magnetic-Pulses when being used, and that destroys any Computer that has too 'fine' electronical Components.

As in:
The FTL destroys any nanometer-sized Transistors, effectively destroying the Computer.
The only way to protect a Computer from being destroyed is to build it out of Materials that are more resistant against EMP, but these Materials can't be simply used on a nanometer scale, so you end up building a DCPU-16/DCPU-32/TR32000/RC-XXX/whateverything for use in Spaceships.

Good idea or not?

Have a nice day.

- Longor1996
#define Longor1996 "Programmer that loves to write small tools for quick usage. He writes code mainly in Java, but understands C++ and similar languages as well. Is also reading science articles/books/papers/news since he is 5 years old".
Longor1996

Postby Tamer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm

I like the idea of supercomputers being fried by FTL. it's a good way to explain things without it getting too tied up in a complicated plot, but there is one problem: where in the world would we put this explanation?
Tamer

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:59 am

dude, this is awesome. it explains it all perfectly, albeit a tad morbidly. we should use it.
Vanshark

Previous

Return to Writing