Story vs Sandbox

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Story vs Sandbox

Postby SirAwesomelot » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 am

What exactly is the plan for the story of the game (especially the single-player version)? This seems like something that we should all come to a consensus on pretty soon.
My vote is to just have some background lore that the player could find, just to make the world feel real, but I'm pretty against having a "storyline." It sort of goes against the whole nature of the game. This is a game about exploring deep space, about finding your own adventures, about getting into crazy situations that create their own stories, not about following some arc that every player plays through.
I think the manpower that would be used making a story and implementing it should instead be put toward making lore and making sure that the game can give you the opportunity to find your own stories.
What do you guys think?
SirAwesomelot

Re: Story vs Sandbox

Postby t3hero » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:12 am

Yes, but you should have to background story as to why you are there. If you drop players into the game without one, only the creative ones will continue to play the game and make their own stories, but I assume most people want a reason as to why they are there.
t3hero

Postby SirAwesomelot » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 am

Yeah, for sure. That's what I meant by lore.
SirAwesomelot

Postby JTxt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 am

JTxt
Art Lead

Postby RationalInsanity » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 pm

I think I remember reading on the 7 days 2 die kickstarter page that it was going to have a dynamically generated, player driven, storyline. I imagine it would depend on what you did as a player and where you went, but in relation to Trillek we could do something similar to an extent. Maybe instead of having a set storyline for the play have a few other cultures (humans and several aliens) that have a rich and interesting history and even future. For example through random scripted events there could be huge galactic wars, civil wars and more. These events could cause the destruction of worlds and civilizations and, because they are random events, every time a galaxy/universe is generated different races could come to power and different empires can rise and fall. Dependent on which civilization is in power (if any) could then cause a variety of knock on effects, an increase in piracy or aggression in certain areas, having to pay a fee to enter a galaxy or solar system under a certain civilizations control and other endless opportunities.

That's only a small portion of what I think this game could potentially achieve story wise, whilst still being sand box.
RationalInsanity

Postby King Korihor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

I would love to see some optional "quests" that might have a slightly more linear story to them, or perhaps a branching story line of some kind or another where some quests are only unlocked if you have made certain choices in the game.

This could be done in a multi-player setting as well, where players can even cooperatively complete various kinds of quests (searching for specific items, minerals, or even NPCs).

For those that don't like quests, they can make their own story, but it doesn't need to be just one option here. Questing can be a fun pastime and can add a whole lot of content to a game that appeals to some kinds of players in particular.

BTW, I hate, I repeat I hate automatically generated quests that basically repeat the same thing over and over again. Making a strong quest that is popular among the players requires literary skill and the ability to craft a compelling story. I also think that quest starts (aka how you initiate a quest) should blend seamlessly into the background of the game so you as a player need to seek it out rather than having it smack you in the face... almost as if you accidentally trip across a quest instead of forcing you to perform any quest task before you can move on.
King Korihor

Postby KirksEchoingScream » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:27 am

I don't think we really need clearly defined, heavily scripted quests like "Our planet is being attack by Zargons! Will you save us, space hero?"

In fact, perhaps they shouldn't have dialogue at all. Minecraft provides a good example of how quests could work. For example, in the game you can choose to find a portal to another dimension and battle a powerful dragon there. Nobody tells you to go battle the dragon. You don't get anything useful by killing it, other than bragging rights. It's just a fun challenge you can choose to do because you want to.

So "quests" in Trillek could also be dialogue-free things you choose to do, just because you want to. For example, maybe there's a huge alien space station floating in orbit around a planet. Every time you get near it unleashes a powerful barrage of lasers at you. You can choose to leave it alone. Or you can go fight it. Maybe you'll get some cool loot or tech by destroying it, but it's not something you have to do. You could just leave it there and steer clear. But players won't do that. They'll want to take on any challenge the game throws at them. There's no need to tell them to blow up the space station. Just put it there and players will provide their own motivation, and will design whatever ship they need to defeat it.

I think a lot of the writing can just be thinking up interesting scenarios like that, without having to explain exactly why they're happening.
KirksEchoingScream

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I like the kind of quest you give yourself, but I also think that NPCs should pay you to ship things, guard convoys, and other things you would find in the help wanted section of the intergalactic newspaper.
Tamer

Return to Writing