Withholding Information

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Withholding Information

Postby GoodOldeTymes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

I think part of the exploration aspect can be the exploration of history. What happened to Earth since we left? Where there other alien species? How can we travel faster than light, but only manage a 16-bit computer? Where is all this duct tape coming from?

The developers will know all the answers, but the players won't, and those with the yearning can find out, can explore the artifacts of civilization to find out.

If you're a really good game developer, you will never tell them the whole picture, but give them bits and pieces that they will have to put together themselves, not just in writing, but the environment they explore.
GoodOldeTymes

Re: Withholding Information

Postby DarkSpartan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 pm

That was my intent originally, and still is. Modern information should be readily available to the player, and backstory needs to be found.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby Tamer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I love this idea, but it might be hard to implement in a randomly generated world. the clues would need to be ambiguous when it comes to location.
Tamer

Postby wrongu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 pm

"hard to implement," yes. "really awesome if it works," also yes.

This may not be the thread to discuss feasibility of procedural history.. but here are some links to tangentially-related articles:

* gamedev subreddit provides a lot of useful links
* 'Game Forge' language to "integrate story and world"
* Procedural Puzzles And Plot Generation has a brief intro and more links.

But, maybe the "story" can be more loosely defined than all that.. One of the most important points in all of this is, I think, "human imagination will create a plot out of a sequence of events without necessarily having an underlying plot" (from the 3rd bullet).
Maybe it's much simpler than all this if we know beforehand what set-points there are in Trillek history, then it's just a matter of pairing scripted events with generated locations (and, as you said, not giving everything away).
wrongu

Return to Writing