Planets, Solar Systems, Galaxies, and Junk.

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Planets, Solar Systems, Galaxies, and Junk.

Postby ChemicalRascal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:05 am

Jinx, except we said it two hours apart. :P

I'm a lot keener on the "less hard" solution here (although there are ways and mechanics it could be less "magic"), which to some point even makes a fair bot of sense - My current overall idea involves the player initially arriving into the galaxy from outside, so if we decide on a lore that can incorporate that it would make sense that the ship's systems would have a few bits of data to work out a common co-ordinate system from.
ChemicalRascal

Postby Alderin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Real stars each have a unique emission spectrum, almost like a fingerprint. (It does change over time (thousands to millions of years), but wouldn't matter for the time frame of playing the game.)

"Spectrum" could be shown in the DCPU as a number, and could even be used to adjust the color of the star in the view port, so some stars you could recognize on sight.

Personally, I like the "Stupid Hard" solution, but I'm also a fan of Minecraft Hardcore mode.
Alderin

Postby KirksEchoingScream » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:14 am

Presumably every visitable point in space would have a coordinate. So if you can't agree on a name for something, you can just refer to it by its coordinates.

And I agree that there should be no way of naming something. You can call planets and stars whatever you like, and change your ship's software to refer to them that way if you want. But you can't alter the universe so a planet inherently is renamed, any more than the continents in real life care what names we've given them on maps.
KirksEchoingScream

Postby Phosfor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Alderin wrote:Real stars each have a unique emission spectrum, almost like a fingerprint. (It does change over time (thousands to millions of years), but wouldn't matter for the time frame of playing the game.)

"Spectrum" could be shown in the DCPU as a number, and could even be used to adjust the color of the star in the view port, so some stars you could recognize on sight.

Personally, I like the "Stupid Hard" solution, but I'm also a fan of Minecraft Hardcore mode.

I also had the idea with the spectra. And I'd love to see a sensor which can output you the spectra (and the corresponding directions in relative to your ship so you can estimate your position by triangulation). But I fear that the DCPU is not fast enough for a usable location calculation as it also has to take into account that the stars are not at a fixed position (or will they). And you would have to have a relatively big database of all the stars, their spectrum, their location at time 0, and how the move(, their userdefined name).

I guess it would be more simpler to have a device which "does" all this internally and would just spit out the coordinates.

But I'd prefer the "Ultra Hard" version.
Phosfor

Postby Basileg1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:53 am

Personally, I think that users should be able to leave a 'Science Droid' in orbit around a star or planet. This 'Science Droid' would collect data about a planet's atmosphere, potential life-forms/resources, etc. (however it would have less functionality in orbit around a star), but it would also be possible to 'name' a planet/star by submitting a name to the Science Droid in orbit around it from the DCPU. You would also be able to view, with the DCPU, the currently submitted names and vote for particular names that sound suitable, and if there is no Science Droid in orbit you'd be able to launch one from your ship. Of course, each system would have server-assigned IDs as well, just to make sure that there is no confusion to the game engine if two planets/stars end up being called the same thing!
Don't believe everything that you read on 'teh interwebs'...
Basileg1

Postby mrout » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 am

JTxt wrote:Yes, perhaps have a way to build star maps, name objects, and the ability to share this data?

(Stupid hard:
You start in a random location and orientation. The client even has no absolute coordinates or direction in the universe. Only the server knows where you are. Even object ids are hashed/randomized before sent to you so you can't "cheat".
A device outputs the direction of objects near you. I don't know how your navigation program will work, but my program will build a star chart using using triangulation and will try to compare my star-chart with what the sensor sees, to position and orient me relative to where I started.
I can name things however I want, and broadcast this file to others. My star chart and coordinate system might be oriented differently from yours, and I might have made some errors. My program tries to reorient and combine others data that I trust. Small errors can cause this to fail badly over long distances. But you also have your radio, reorient till the signal is the strongest, you know that person is that way at least.

Less hard:
A fancy sensor gives you an id and position/orbit of the object it's near and pointed at. It magically gives the info others would get.
You build a star chart based on items you've seen, you can name them and share this file with other, it's easy to combine star charts with others, and decide use your assigned name or not. It's hard to get lost.)

edit: ChemicalRascal: Jinx, pretty much.

I'd prefer Stupid Hard, but you probably already guessed that :P I think it's better for everyone. Players that don't want to be bothered with that sort of thing can simply assign names to often-visited planets and stars on their DCPU. Advanced players can tinker with these programs, or just outright remove them and write their own. I'd like that to be true for literally everything, but we'll see, that might not be possible for a variety of reasons.
mrout

Postby Lacasax » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Personally, I'd prefer the Hard version. Perhaps the player could leave a form of Deep Space Transmitter on the surface or in orbit to mark the planet, but even that should have a limited range.
Lacasax

Postby SunShiranui » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I think we should have some kind of universal coordinate system for the universe, though.
SunShiranui

Postby mrout » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 pm

SunShiranui wrote:I think we should have some kind of universal coordinate system for the universe, though.

Yep. Should it be visible to the players? Nah.
mrout

Postby SunShiranui » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I think it should - that way if you want to meet with a friend, you can just tell them your coordinates and they'll be on their way. But we could work around that. What do you suggest?
SunShiranui

PreviousNext

Return to Writing