Planets, Solar Systems, Galaxies, and Junk.

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Planets, Solar Systems, Galaxies, and Junk.

Postby t3hero » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 pm

What do you guys think about creating different galaxies, alternative dimensions, names of things that would be on props in the background and be in the deep lore of the game. Should this take place in our galaxies? Do you want to take the names of all the planets an stars of our nebula? Should we create our own names? Our own stars? We could create a large list of planet names that can be attached to the planets, or found on props in the planets that the user has to find! Any suggestions?
t3hero

Re: Planets, Solar Systems, Galaxies, and Junk.

Postby mrout » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Galaxies, stars, nebulas, etc. will be procedurally and randomly generated - they need to be able to be named dynamically by the computer.
mrout

Postby GoodOldeTymes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm

I think it would be cool if celestial bodies were given a number, and players could name it themselves. It would kind of punctuate the space exploration effect. Hey! This stuff has never been discovered before! What're you gonna call it?

It would also make it easier for players to organize the universe. Systems they find unimportant they can keep as numbers. Systems they find important, they will give a memorable name specifically to them. "Frank," for example may be a lot easier to remember than "Stoogagleblats" or even "Icarus".

Finally, it would create neato interactions between the players in multiplayer. They can either try to agree what the planets would be named, or they can duke it out, and the winner gets to choose, or whatever really. It'll be an organic process. If player factions becomes a thing, it would interesting if one system is known as "Bithsidule" to the Red Stars and "King George" to the Photon Phatties.

Additionally it will save the company time on naming everything. Just write some code that will give each system a unique number, and let the player run the rest their way.
GoodOldeTymes

Postby Phosfor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I think way better would be that there is no naming system at all so players can choose a name but it is not fixed. Players can agree on one name or they don't. So a planet may be called the one way ba one group of players and another way by other players. Maybe someday there will be only one name. I don't know if this is understandable...

You just don't "force" planets (and other objects) to have a name by storing it on the server but let the players choose wether or not to give something a name and if so the name only exists in their head.
Phosfor

Postby GoodOldeTymes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Phosfor wrote:I think way better would be that there is no naming system at all so players can choose a name but it is not fixed. Players can agree on one name or they don't. So a planet may be called the one way ba one group of players and another way by other players. Maybe someday there will be only one name. I don't know if this is understandable...

You just don't "force" planets (and other objects) to have a name by storing it on the server but let the players choose wether or not to give something a name and if so the name only exists in their head.

Could the players assign client side names?
GoodOldeTymes

Postby mrout » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:09 pm

GoodOldeTymes wrote:
Phosfor wrote:I think way better would be that there is no naming system at all so players can choose a name but it is not fixed. Players can agree on one name or they don't. So a planet may be called the one way ba one group of players and another way by other players. Maybe someday there will be only one name. I don't know if this is understandable...

Could the players assign client side names?

GOD YES!
mrout

Postby ChemicalRascal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:40 pm

That's actually a really fantastic idea. It also solves the problem of someone running through a system and calling everything "<playername>'s pimp-house" or "poppycock".
ChemicalRascal

Postby sanchezman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 am

Maybe named systems could be kept in an easily accessible file, so that groups could distribute them and members could know what it mean when they receive a message saying "meet me at Beetlegeuse IV"
Why are they called urinal cakes if you're not supposed to eat them?
sanchezman

Postby ChemicalRascal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 am

From a gameplay point of view, I'd rather have it done through the DCPU or similar, as that's the only way that a player would really see a planet name anyway (as large floating signs and the like aught be avoided). Name mappings could be transferred through whatever mediums the players have available to them (of course, it would still be possible for players to write up a program outside the client that contains a mapping as well). Of course, systems should still have some sort of unique identifier so that players can still refer to systems unambiguously, especially in situations where clashing name mappings exist (such as inter-group diplomacy) or where the status of the other party's name mapping is entirely unknown (such as potential first-contact scenarios).
ChemicalRascal

Postby JTxt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:28 am

Yes, perhaps have a way to build star maps, name objects, and the ability to share this data?

(Stupid hard:
You start in a random location and orientation. The client even has no absolute coordinates or direction in the universe. Only the server knows where you are. Even object ids are hashed/randomized before sent to you so you can't "cheat".
A device outputs the direction of objects near you. I don't know how your navigation program will work, but my program will build a star chart using using triangulation and will try to compare my star-chart with what the sensor sees, to position and orient me relative to where I started.
I can name things however I want, and broadcast this file to others. My star chart and coordinate system might be oriented differently from yours, and I might have made some errors. My program tries to reorient and combine others data that I trust. Small errors can cause this to fail badly over long distances. But you also have your radio, reorient till the signal is the strongest, you know that person is that way at least.

Less hard:
A fancy sensor gives you an id and position/orbit of the object it's near and pointed at. It magically gives the info others would get.
You build a star chart based on items you've seen, you can name them and share this file with other, it's easy to combine star charts with others, and decide use your assigned name or not. It's hard to get lost.)

edit: ChemicalRascal: Jinx, pretty much.
JTxt
Art Lead

Next

Return to Writing