The Line Between Design and Writing

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

The Line Between Design and Writing

Postby NatureHikes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Seeing as we're just starting out, I think it would be good to make a clear distinction between design and writing. I look in the design threads and I see discussion about conflict and plot (which is fine!), and I wonder if that shouldn't be held here rather than there. Is design not for the artistic aspect?
NatureHikes

Re: The Line Between Design and Writing

Postby SunShiranui » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Writing should discuss everything in relation to plot and narrative.
Design should discuss everything in regard to game mechanics and the game in general.
SunShiranui

Postby Earl Asplund » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 pm

I think it was heavily confusing that "The Conflict" was created in Ideas and Concepts at first, though I can understand why; the forums were vaguely new, and new members probably had no idea that the conflict in a game would be apart of the storytelling. It should really be moved over here by one of the admins when they can.

To answer your question, the Design subforum should definitely be primarily used for game concepts, features, ideas, like how the player can interact with the world. Not about the types of enemies that they'll have to deal with. Any art, as well, would be kept in the Art subforum.
Earl Asplund

Postby mrout » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Well then the writing team should be more open, if they want to take such a wide area of design.
mrout

Return to Writing