Core elements: Background

For discussions around writing about the project.

Moderator: DarkSpartan

Re: Core elements: Background

Postby Aculem » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 pm

greekguy wrote:--> Eventually (some arbitrary amount of centuries), expansion outpaced the needs of the "core" worlds. They (the oldest planets) became introverted and shunned any need for further expansion. They closed their borders, so to speak; technological advances in the expanding colonies weren't possible without the benefit of a "core" education or industrial might.

I like this direction, it not only solves the problem of how to realistically depict how a massive human civilization could collapse, but adds another flavor to the player's situation. They aren't just survivors, but exiles.

If the location(s) of humanity's core worlds are known, perhaps they could be some of the most dangerous places to visit. Perhaps they've been sucked into some sort of Technological Singularity or turned into Dyson Spheres protected by an AI that wouldn't trust their safety to be compromised by the outlying colonial Luddites, so every player is essentially shoot-on-sight.
Aculem

Postby Earl Asplund » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 am

Aculem wrote:I like this direction, it not only solves the problem of how to realistically depict how a massive human civilization could collapse, but adds another flavor to the player's situation. They aren't just survivors, but exiles.

If the location(s) of humanity's core worlds are known, perhaps they could be some of the most dangerous places to visit. Perhaps they've been sucked into some sort of Technological Singularity or turned into Dyson Spheres protected by an AI that wouldn't trust their safety to be compromised by the outlying colonial Luddites, so every player is essentially shoot-on-sight.

I mentioned it briefly in that chat, at one point in time, a powerful AI in these home worlds, in all of its advanced processing capabilities, deemed itself fit to govern the rest of civilization, leading in a brief period of 'AI'tocracy. Following general dissent from all human beings, the AI could have been destroyed after a series of escalated battles, concluding with the destruction of mankind's greatest technological advances, explaining why any future civilizations may have refuse to pursue new electronic intelligence above the DCPU.

As it stands right now, I am working on helping refine and add detail to the OP. What I have so far is the first few sentences of paragraph one:

In the year 3567, Earth’s Solar System, Sol, had reached its peak in operational capacity, and exhausted of space, room for additional infrastructure, and resources. In a desperate attempt to prevent government collapse, the legislation pushed through to fund the construction of thousands of space-worthy vessels, powerful enough to sustain themselves for almost indefinite travel, with one sacrifice; in order to maintain minimum energy usage, and to spare the valuable resources keeping the majority of civilization under control, they were equipped with DCPU-16 systems. The first of their kind in a new line of deep-space vessels, they were launched en masse, equipped with the modern-day cryogenics ‘deep sleep’ pods. Each was fitted with supplies and a soul objective; to ‘enhance the planet’s atmosphere/infrastructure to support colonization for the benefit of the many.’

But they were not 'the first of many. Shortly after their en masse expansion in nearly every direction, the political landscape began to heat up. Having planned ahead for such an event to be considered a waste of resources from their opponents, regular check-ins from each vessel that would be broadcast for the public to hear were arranged. These check-ins never occurred. Faulty programming with the cryogenics pods would leave each of the on-board crew permanently incapacitated for a unnecessary amount of time, one that would not need to be counted, as by the time they would wake up, anyone that would care about them would be long disintegrated.
Earl Asplund

Postby greekguy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Having planned ahead for such an event to be considered a waste of resources from their opponents, regular check-ins from each vessel that would be broadcast for the public to hear were arranged. These check-ins never occurred. Faulty programming with the cryogenics pods would leave each of the on-board crew permanently incapacitated for a unnecessary amount of time, one that would not need to be counted, as by the time they would wake up, anyone that would care about them would be long disintegrated.

I was under the impression that Notch's concept of faulty cryogenic programming was going to be scrapped. I haven't been able to take place in any active chats as of yet, so I'm curious, are we leaving the backstory open to deviations from Notch's imagined universe?
greekguy

Postby TakenakaHanbei » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:22 pm

greekguy wrote:I was under the impression that Notch's concept of faulty cryogenic programming was going to be scrapped. I haven't been able to take place in any active chats as of yet, so I'm curious, are we leaving the backstory open to deviations from Notch's imagined universe?

I really think we should be open to all ideas because, while it may seem nice, it'd be lazy if we tried to make this 1:1 with 0x10c.
I am the one who writes.
TakenakaHanbei

Postby DarkSpartan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 am

We haven't made any final determination on how the timeline will play out, and won't until sometime next week. The above is a single input. Greekguy is correct-- the original Notch storyline has been scrapped, and for the reasons that Takenaka described. Sure, we could go with the original Notch storyline, but that comes with it's own attendant issues.

"Laziness" only being the first.

We're here to ship the best game we can, and slacking off on story elements is NOT the best way to do that. Notch left us a concept-- what we do with it is up to us.
DarkSpartan
Lead Designer

Postby greekguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 am

If we have certain spheres of technological prowess, law, governmental organization, etc (good, bad and then ugly), I feel that stressing the stagnation of cultural and societal values which drove that decline will allow us to set up distinct sectors.
greekguy

Postby NatureHikes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm

greekguy wrote:A player will originate in one of the "deteriorating" colonies, beginning with a limited knowledge of the extent of humanity really is, and only a inkling of a rumor about why the core worlds closed themselves off from the rest of humanity.

I strongly second this point. I think that dropping someone into this universe completely unaware of their surroundings suits the (as yet still developing) theme, and also creates a blank canvas for exploration. Think of that first play of Minecraft, but with more emphasis on the survival aspect, and an actual culture (or many cultures) and history to explore. I would say we provide at the very most a brief paragraph of introduction.
NatureHikes

Postby thomas9459 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Depending on how far in the future the game is set, you guys might want to consider the Andromeda-Milky Way collision (going to happen in ~4 billion years). I would suggest setting the time frame so that they have not yet collided, but are very close, and it would be possible to travel between them. This way, the Milky Way could have well established colonies and core worlds, while Andromeda would have a few colonies, an abundance of raw resources, and aplenty of exiles and pirates. This would be much more interesting than being limited to just one galaxy, especially considering the orientation of the collision:

Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (36.5 KiB) Viewed 2665 times

Image taken from the video on by NASA in Wikipedia.

PS: On the concept of core worlds, it would be cool if there was at least one that was akin to Magrathea.
thomas9459

Previous

Return to Writing