Very useful information on how the game should be made

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Very useful information on how the game should be made

Postby Noble 6 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:17 am

One thing that is mistreated when video game makers are thinking of how to make their audience appeal to a game, is what it is like to be a spectator, or to watch somebody else play the game. Another thing that we need to stress is depth. We have to have a wide variety of things a player can do to overcome a task, we can't guide them through something by making them have to do a certain thing. That just makes the game seem flat and boring, and the player doesn't feel like they're in control, which is partially what we want to aim for. There also has to be a good tutorial, that doesn't tell you directly how to play. Take Portal for an example, the whole game is basically a tutorial itself, throwing new things at the player as he/she goes along. Also, who doesn't feel like they can take down anything after killing the hydra in the beginning of God of War. These are just a few tips and random things I had on mind about the making of the game.
Yes, sir!
Noble 6

Re: Very useful information on how the game should be made

Postby Kaluce » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:07 pm

> Another thing that we need to stress is depth.

Agree. I'd like to compare this game to Dwarf Fortress. In Dwarf Fortress, there are multiple ways to solve a problem like a seige. For example, you can go old fashioned, just a simple drawbridge, you can go through a trap hallway, or you could go large and make a drowning chamber, or a minecart shotgun, or even a magma drop.

> There also has to be a good tutorial

This I don't really agree with. I think there should be an in-game text-only help manual you can leaf through with some basic programs offered in game to get you going on the D-CPU. I feel this fits in more with the 1980s era computers like the C64, where you had a programming manual, some basic tutorials, and that was it. Bonus points if you set up an in game BBS-like system where people can post code snippets. This doesn't have to fit in with the game's cannon, but I think that would be pretty damn cool to access it from the in game monitor, as opposed to getting a "move forward by pushing W" hand-holding tutorial. especially if we're given a command prompt like the apple2's PRODOS, or commodore BASIC.

Would this alienate some of the less hardcore potential players, yeah, probably. but the ones that seem to be interested in this seem to be mostly interested in the flight, programming, and exploration aspect, and far less casual gamers. Plus if there are so many Let's Play games of Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, and games that aren't "easy" to get into, that means that there is probably a market for a game like that.

Something that I feel is needed to focus on right now, is developing the computer control and the associated UI to control it from within the game. Once the devs have that part done, that would give us as players enough to tool with to keep our interest as a pre-alpha.
Kaluce

Postby Noble 6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:03 am

Yes, I agree with you all the way on depth, there should be an open and wide range of options to complete a certain task at hand for a player to get to choose from.
Yes, sir!
Noble 6

Postby sameer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 am

i also agree with you .....
sameer

Postby ETShift » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:57 pm

How it could start is:
You're in your simple ship facing the monitor which displays basic movement controls. So the computer might start with some simple guide.
ETShift

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions