A few little ideas of mine.

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

A few little ideas of mine.

Postby Dethorath » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 am

Hello, to start off with my idea I would like to say that I like many have been awaiting something like this for ages, this game can become the next breakthrough for the indie industry. I'm going to try to make this short but I WILL go into detail.

Some of my ideas for this game include:
1. Completely Meshable (for lack of a better word) and customizable armor. If I want to look like a storm trooper and my friend wants to look like a soldier from starship troopers, then we would be able to go to a corperation with our own creations (like i explained in 4.) and pay in game money we made by mining or harvesting on a planet or being mercenaries and have them created for us, our clan(s) or for mass production for other people to be able to edit with the artists permission. The editing portion should include a machine you can access on a starship a planet or a space station, you could then edit the coloring of that specific peice or set of armor, whichever peice or set you choose. (Also i was going to say something about getting the artists permission, There is a thing in a game called APB: Reloaded where you may create something and distribute it. thing is, it doesn't allow you to edit it because it was a unique item created by someone. So the idea is that the artist of the armor and/or weapon would be able to choose whether or not they want other people editing their creation. if they did choose to, it would come up in the description of the armor that "so and so person has created this originally")

2. Vehicles, If you are going to land on a planet that is dominated by another faction or group, you'll want to have some sort of siege vehicle. (of course while 0x10c was in development i had huge ideas for multiple starwars walkers and repulsor tanks)

3. The option for in game Direct Voice Chat. In other words, i'm talking right next to you and the farther I am away the farther my voice sounds and vice versa. i would also like to include that there should be comms that can be disrupted between a singular ship and person. for example if said person is in an asteroid checking out a base, the farther he or they go the communications get more static until finally they are cut off until they get closer to the ship.

4. (i felt this needed detail) Highly customizable weapons, the ability for someone to take an in game or downloadable free 3d editing program, create a gun from halo while another person creates a gun from starwars and has the ability to choose projectile type (laser, kenetic, beam, energy etc.) the color of the projectile, the fire selection system and such. After said weapons have been created from what ever the users mind has decided, they could keep it to themselves, spread it amongst their clan for free or a price depending on if they want to discount it or not, or make a copy of it through a 3d printer on the ship and sell it to a corporation in game for mass production (once other players set up corps on other planets and trade routes) and make what ever currency will be in the game. Armies would then be able to have thier own skilled artists make their own chosen weapons or if they're feeling lazy or their just rich they could buy, say for instance the E-11 blaster carbine the stormtroopers use, in bulk and arm their forces that way.

5. Finally (until i think of something more to add to this list.) the ability to do orbital bombardments, of course there would have to be a counter to this. Just like the real world there is a counter to just about everything, walls and cannonballs, planes and AA guns, Sea-Mines and submarines. So my last suggestion for now would be that you could have the ability to do orbital bombardments from low/medium/high orbits depending on how your ship is designed and it's specifications. My idea for the weapons (see 4.) would also apply to the ships weapons, what ever shape or form they may take. Laser/projectile color, how big your guns are, etc. my counter idea to this is the obvious, if the ship is going to have turbo lasers or what ever is decided, to combat other ships AND seige city's/stations/bases/whatever. Those targets depending on what they are and how well their built, should have the ability to counter this with physical or energy shields. physical being something similar to having an iron dome over you, energy being something out of starwars or star trek. of course a well placed commando team or ion shot could temporarily or completely destroy these making it easier for the army or battleships to assault their target.

6. The ability to set your framework for your spacestation/ship, Basically putting down your metal frame (of what ever kinds of metal will be available) for your ship and doing a space engineers-esque welding to the frame with the materials in your inventory.

Thank you for reading my post if you have, I know my idea's may not be for all but i think these additions would be absolutely great for this game before it gets too heavily developed. It just sparked in my head that on native derelict ships (native being the fact the universe spawned it and not players, but it also does count if players abandoned their ships.) that if there is no power, there should be a bit of a horror aspect to the game in the way that there could be creatures that have gotten on the ship/escaped from a cargo bay etc. this would also be a good idea for Moons. (anyone ever seen the Apollo 18 rock crabs?) Anyway thank you for reading this post, Good luck with this project and God Bless.
Last edited by Dethorath on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dethorath

Re: A few little ideas of mine.

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:30 am

well, I agree with a bunch of what you said here. I don't think you should need someone's permission to use their design though. if you have the materials to make this gun and you want to make it, there's nothing anyone can do to stop you, except perhaps shoot you with their own guns. also, what's this about clans? I really like the idea for completely customizable armor, however I think that you can't just slap any assortment of parts together and call it a lazergun. if you want a lazergun, make it work like a lazergun. if you want to make it shoot bolts of plasma, you need to put a gas compression chamber in there and you gotta buy the ammo for it. if you want a beam weapon, you need to put the lazer in there, make it point the right way, and put the necessary amplification lenses to make it hurt. a bunch of random doohickeys put together do not make a thing shoot lightning bolts.

oh, by the way, the counter to an orbital bombardment would be an ion cannon like the one from star wars five. nice idea about counters.
Vanshark

Postby Dethorath » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 am

Vanshark wrote:well, I agree with a bunch of what you said here. I don't think you should need someone's permission to use their design though. if you have the materials to make this gun and you want to make it, there's nothing anyone can do to stop you, except perhaps shoot you with their own guns. also, what's this about clans? I really like the idea for completely customizable armor, however I think that you can't just slap any assortment of parts together and call it a lazergun. if you want a lazergun, make it work like a lazergun. if you want to make it shoot bolts of plasma, you need to put a gas compression chamber in there and you gotta buy the ammo for it. if you want a beam weapon, you need to put the lazer in there, make it point the right way, and put the necessary amplification lenses to make it hurt. a bunch of random doohickeys put together do not make a thing shoot lightning bolts.

oh, by the way, the counter to an orbital bombardment would be an ion cannon like the one from star wars five. nice idea about counters.
Firstly, thank you for replying because it really means alot to me that someone could take the time to point out some things from a different perspective. Anyway, the argument i have as far as the customizable armor and weapon designs is that it's basically something similar to the social chat program IMVU or the creation program inside of a game called All Points Bulletin: Reloaded. The person would be able to make his/her creation and then they have a choice on wether they want to release it all for public use through giving it away or selling it themselves, or they could give it to an in game corporation and have it mass produced through a company liscense which would mean that company would be the only one to produce it unless they decide to share it with another company. it would help the economy in the game and would give weapons and armor AS WELL as vehicle manufacturers an incentive to lease their creations out to a group they own/are a part of, an army, a corporation, a group of pirates, what have you. it gives you all the business decisions available in the real world (or close to) and allows you to make profit off your choices depending on how your product performs. But i'm also pretty sure that early on you'd have to test fire your weapon and make sure it acts the way its supposed to, then convince the entity buying the weapon (or any item thereof) that your weapon (or item) is the best for their interests.
Dethorath

Postby Nadrieril » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Not a bad idea, but there is something I don't understand: customizing the design of your weapon is nice. But customizing its functionality ? You can't just choose the type of ammo or the precision of the aim. You would need to allow for a lot of different parameters if you want weapons to really be different... Do you mean you can e.g. change the material/size of a compression chamber ? Without very low-level customization, you can't have weapons different enough to create a competitive weapon market I think...
Nadrieril

Postby Chance » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Actually I think there could be a way to make weapons that would be easily designed and in many different forms.

the components would fall in to set of categories for example
-Physical
these weapons would include your every day gun Rail-guns, and anything else that launches a physical object.
- Energy
these would include lasers, phasers, blasters, disruptors, PPG's,
- Other
this section is optional for weapons that don't fall into the categories above

each weapon would have four main parts

1 The projectile/Emitter (bullets could be modified/different energies mixed)
2 The ammo magazine/power-supply ( how much can you fire before you have to reload/recharge and how long does it take)
3 Launching mechanism (Is the bullet launched by explosion or by magnets/is the energy put through any lenses or modifiers before it leaves the gun)
4 muzzle (this would help define accuracy, and dispersal,/will the energy come out in a burst, a beam, a fan and what color is it)

For each of the modifications given to any weapon something will be lost, you can not mix physical and energy weapon parts unless the weapon was multi-barreled. each individual part would be adjustable so that no to separate designs are the same unless your extremely unlucky.
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Postby Dethorath » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:03 am

I agree with chance in this respect and i also just think ive sparked a new idea from this, say throughout the games time period, what if it was possible to discover new gasses/powders/energies to use for those weapons? you go to a desert planet and find some sort of very useful gunpowder that you can mix with another abundent material? Boom. Brand new powder for a Kinetic weapon using bullets.
Dethorath

Postby Nadrieril » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:16 am

This could then be part of the crafting mechanic Shane talked about in yesterday's meeting, which, put briefly, consists in having many different chemicals that you mix together to discover new ones. That fits your idea
Nadrieril

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions