Ship Building with Modular Design

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Ship Building with Modular Design

Postby Space Caligula » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:01 am

Hello Project Trillek.

I listened through your milestone meeting two weeks ago and have given a great deal of thought to a ship constructor design I hope you may consider. The core principle lies in creating standardized libraries of modular parts and texture sheets for each faction.

Advantages:

Fast Prototyping and Iterative Design
Visual styles can be blocked out, evaluated by the community and changed rapidly

Largest Return for Created Assets
A small library of pieces give way to an enormous number of possibilities

Expandable
Once the design has been laid out new pieces can be added to the library with minimal effort

Community Friendly
Encourages creative designs and sharing of ship blueprints

Open Source Friendly:
Anyone can contribute new module pieces following simple guidelines

Mesh Based Construction Compatible with Voxel Grids
Module pieces will be measured by standard units allowing ships made of geometry to easily be placed in voxel based worlds

Adaptable
The base pieces work for both lego style construction and creating drawn shapes algorithmically via the sims construction.

Visual Continuity
By limiting each faction to a library of pieces, each ship built from a faction's library will look thematically consistent even when the designs are radically different

Disadvantages:

Effort Spent on Standardization
In some pieces, additional geometry might need to be modeled to account for all use cases

Smaller Benefit on Organically Shaped Ships
More organic ships would benefit less from smaller pieces as the tiling would become more apparent

If we go down this path, the first iteration of community testing would require only the ability to place and rotate pieces on a grid, then save the result. The programming side could be further simplified if the pieces are exported with an invisible box around them that defines their relative placement on a grid.

Once there is a stable build we could expand on the core concept by adding an additional layer of detail for attached doodads both inside (console panels, chairs, beds etc.) and outside (radar dishes, thrusters, solar panel, guns etc.) and decide the next step based on a community consensus.

The level of skill and organization I have seen executed on this project is really incredible and I would love to contribute to your effort. I feel this path is the quickest way to get to a working prototype without any wasted work. I have taken the liberty of creating some template geometry as a poof of concept. These small and simple building blocks provide a great deal of flexibility, but more complicated, interesting and larger modules can be created based on community demand.

ShipPieces.png
ShipPieces.png (145.36 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

Standard pieces using 1 meter base unit scale

ShipRender.png
ShipRender.png (139.48 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

Ships of the Varying scale: room-sized, apartment-sized, and row house-sized

SpaceUvs-Combined.png
SpaceUvs-Combined.png (164.78 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

UV Layout and legend
Space Caligula

Re: Ship Building with Modular Design

Postby Vanshark » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Well, I have no idea what you're saying but the pictures suggest that this is a really nice ship building thing. I think this would work pretty well.
Vanshark

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 am

this looks somewhat like building with Patterns. were you thinking that players could make their own textures for their spaceships?

some objects should be placed where walls would usually be, for instance, windows and doors. I don't know about control panels.
Tamer

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 pm

perhaps you could make the peices larger and scalable? you could have one multipurpose peice for a room, then add other peices to furnish it, like chair or reactors and such.
Tamer

Postby kathi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 am

I have no Idea what you were talking about with the cuts and stuff. why not just arrange parts in a virtual hologram, which is then stored in the computer as a blueprint, which you need the raw materials to construct?
We offer best quality 1z0-051 latest resource ASQ exam and high quality wikipedia Also get free demos of Stanford University certification and 220-702 practice questions Miami International University of Art & Design
kathi

Postby Ganzorf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:03 am

kathi wrote:I have no Idea what you were talking about with the cuts and stuff. why not just arrange parts in a virtual hologram, which is then stored in the computer as a blueprint, which you need the raw materials to construct?

That's actually a really swell idea!
Ganzorf

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions