Dynamic Quests

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Dynamic Quests

Postby San Dingo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am

From the meeting I got a good idea for what kind of quests we want in the game, if there are any.

I understand fetch quests are unwanted, and that logical, relevant quests that make sense to who you are in the game make sense for immersion.
My idea is having NPC's give you quest based on what your ship is built for, and how much you do that specific activity. So basically, if you have a ship that has more "storage" than "weaponry" systems/rooms/blocks, you'd get access to trading routes and trade quests. If you have a ship more built for combat, you'd be given quests to protect convoys of traders, and quests to attack specific locations.

This would require the game to be able to tell what systems are the most abundant on your ship, which I don't know how hard that would be to do.

Let me know if this is confusing and it needs more detail :P
San Dingo

Re: Dynamic Quests

Postby croxis » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am

I couldn't make the meeting so I may be off base here, but I would rather have "quests" be generated by the various needs of npcs (or even other players) in the universe, and leave it up to the player to choose what to undertake.
croxis

Postby Krarl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

At least to me it feels more realistic to "put up an ad" if you want something done, instead of directly approaching someone. I guess though that if it's something shady you would want as few people as possible to know about it...
Krarl

Postby VladVP » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 pm

I completely agree with Krarl and Croxis. No stranger can know what you're currently capable of, whether they approach them directly or not.
Perhaps we should also allow players themselves to advertise for quests which would basically be tasks that they do for them. Like Marx's interpretation of the job market.
VladVP

Postby ShaneDalton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:09 pm

So, considering how the game's AI and other AI related faucets will be running in an invisible meta-game we could implement a quest creation system in that meta-game. Would it be fun? eh... maybe not. However, assuming we did go through this idea we could hook it up to the meta game in such a way that if an NPC wanted something for production reasons NPC would put order out on the Codex.

If we go down a corporation road, then it would be dependent on the NPC corp rank and project at the time. We would simply have to put in the AI Nodes and code and have the meta-game create the scenarios for us.
Is it fun?
Will it work?
I guess we'll have to wait and find out.
I've described the Codex in other places before, I think.
Project Lead
ShaneDalton
Project Lead

Postby wrongu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't think the game needs to generate ship-dependent missions. The player will self-select the type of mission they want.

The issue of increasing quest difficulty proportional to skill/reputation - that's a harder problem. My first instinct is that we should simulate a social hierarchy among NPCs. This would effectively create a mob-boss/henchmen division. As the player progresses, they would gain access to the higher-ups in the chain. The super-easy missions would always be available by talking to the NPCs at the bottom of the hierarchy, so the player could simply choose not to talk to them. It's a much more dynamic system that way.

I mentioned in the meeting that the game Limit Theory is doing NPC-generated missions. Watch the update about it here
wrongu

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:56 pm

It'd be cool if there were NPCs that could beat you to a job and be hired to work with, for or against you.
ConnorY71

Postby wrongu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:15 pm

ConnorY71 wrote:It'd be cool if there were NPCs that could beat you to a job and be hired to work with, for or against you.

...and then you confront them after they completed the mission, steal the loot, and take credit for it.

I think the main point here is that every "quest" should be as free-form as possible. No hard boundaries about who the player can or cannot talk to, where they can or cannot go, etc.. just repercussions with varying levels of intensity. If I want to hijack another ship mid-mission to steal their loot and short-cut the mission, there might be longer-term consequences in terms of alliances.
wrongu

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:22 am

Krarl wrote:At least to me it feels more realistic to "put up an ad" if you want something done, instead of directly approaching someone. I guess though that if it's something shady you would want as few people as possible to know about it...

yeah, and I don't think you'll be doing many noble quests for the mafia.

I like the idea of making a "help wanted" section in the intergalactic newspaper. maybe you could even get a full-time job for a while. nothing too dull, but stuff like shipping goods across pirate infested space or guarding the emperor's flagship. maybe maintaining a mining facility on a dangerous lava planet.
Vanshark

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions