Physical Inventories and 2-D Printers

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Physical Inventories and 2-D Printers

Postby Zerthick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello, I'm new to the Project and have been reading as much as I can on its various components. From what I've gathered, there will be some sort of crafting system within Trillek, but its actual implementation has not been decided on yet. I would like to propose my concept of a crafting/inventory system.

First off, for the purposes of simplicity, crafting and item storage would take place on a 2-D array much like Minecraft though the idea could be expanded to 3 dimensions if desired.

-Inventory
One of the most valuable resources within a ship is "space", areas where items can be stored. To reflect this, items would actually take up physical "space" within the inventory array. Think like the pieces from Tetris, some are irregularly shaped and therefore efficient packing could become a skill all itself. This could create scenarios where in order to store some bulky item you must rearrange the items contained within storage. This type of inventory system creates more of a sense of item weight and size preventing immersion breaking situations such as carrying 64 stacks of X mineral in your inventory or a giant rock being the same size as a screwdriver.

-Crafting
Crafting is divided into three sections: Raw Material Processing, Component Fabrication, and Unit Assembly

-Processing:
The goal of processing is to prepare the bulky irregularly shaped raw materials into uniform pieces that can be used in crafting. Irregular ores could be broken down and smelted into uniformly sized, easy to store ingots for example. This could be done through a variety of tools such as crushing units, furnaces, chisels, etc.

-Fabrication
This stage is where the DPCU truly comes into play. In order to make the end unit, a number of sub-components must be crafted, these components are shaped like the pieces in Tetris and are designed to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle to form the final component. These components are carved from the stock processed units by a sort of 2-D printer. The printer consists of a cutting arm that requires energy to move around a grid. The cutter can only cut in one direction costing time to reposition for another cut. Players "craft" an item by programming a series of cuts and repositions for the cutting arm to complete for the final product, these series of instructions form a blueprint for the fabrication of the component. This creates scenarios in which the player must balance time and energy when creating a component. For instance say the player must carve a box shape out of a solid block of material like so:
The cutting head could take several paths to carve out the box such as
--------> -------->
--------> <--------
--------> -------->

The first path would be the most time efficient since the cutting head doesn't need to be repositioned, but would waste energy moving the cutting head back into position for the next cut. The second path is more energy efficient but would cost more time as the cutting head would have to be repositioned twice. This could create nearly limitless paths for the end completion of a component each with their own time and energy costs. Path design could become as much as an art as programming for the DPCU.

-Unit Assembly
Unit assembly would work much the same way with an assembly arm following a path rotating and inserting components like a jigsaw puzzle to form the final unit.

Pros:
-Nearly limitless custom blueprints each with their own time/energy costs that players could trade and refine
-Natural difficulty curve as components become larger the number of available paths increases

Cons:
-Very limited inventories only able to store a select number of items
-Potential Player frustration in organizing their inventories

This idea could potentially be expanded upon into three dimensions to create something like the 3-D printer idea, though it would complicate the instruction sets and UI representation of the items.

Hopefully that wasn't to complicated or convoluted, this idea has been really bugging me and I really needed to get it down on paper. Let me know what you think, yes? no? your crazy?
Zerthick

Re: Physical Inventories and 2-D Printers

Postby Zardoz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 am

Zerthick wrote:-Inventory
One of the most valuable resources within a ship is "space", areas where items can be stored. To reflect this, items would actually take up physical "space" within the inventory array. Think like the pieces from Tetris, some are irregularly shaped and therefore efficient packing could become a skill all itself. This could create scenarios where in order to store some bulky item you must rearrange the items contained within storage. This type of inventory system creates more of a sense of item weight and size preventing immersion breaking situations such as carrying 64 stacks of X mineral in your inventory or a giant rock being the same size as a screwdriver.

You played the original X-COM / UFO. The inventory of each solidier had a similar idea.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Zerthick » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 am

No I haven't, I'll have to play it some time, what do you think of the whole concept of the Physical Inventories and 2-D printing? Thanks for replying to my post by the way.
Zerthick

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 am

I have no Idea what you were talking about with the cuts and stuff. why not just arrange parts in a virtual hologram, which is then stored in the computer as a blueprint, which you need the raw materials to construct?
Vanshark

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions