Power Generators

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Power Generators

Postby Zardoz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:48 pm

My ideas about power generators:

• Solar panels in different sizes . Energy produced depends of the light intensity that they have. Low to Mid power capacity
  • RTGs (Radioisotope thermoelectric generator). Low power but not need fuel. Could be used as a very basic fall-back generator as not need anything to produce power, but are heavy.
  • Nuclear Fission power-plant in different sizes. Mid to High power capacity, but produces radiation and needs fissionable fuel that is not very common (Uranium-235 and Plutonium). Plus could meltdown if get too damage.
  • Thorium Molten Salt reactor. Variation of Nuclear Fission that is more secure (1/5 of meltdown possibility vs normal reactor), but need other type of fuel (Thorium but is more common). Is a bit smaller but more expensive. The fuel usage is slower and can mix his fuel with nuclear waste from conventional nuclear reactor.
  • Nuclear Fusion power-plant in different sizes. Mid to High power capacity. Needs fusionable fuel (Hidrogen, He3, etc..) that is common to find. the contra is that is not cheap and need a initial minimal power to init the fusion. Can be improved with Gluonic catalysis for better fuel usage. Also can overload with anti-matter injection. Can't explode by malfunction, but any malfunction can shut-down it very quickly.
  • Cold Fusion Generator : Low to Mid Power. Rare to found, and uses Hidrogen as fuel. A bit unreliable as around a one of five times that you try to activate it, does nothing.
  • Zero Point Energy Generator. Quasi magical power plant that produces a lot of energy and not needs fuel, but depletes by usage. When it depletes, becomes trash and can't be "filled" again. Should be very rare
Last edited by Zardoz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Re: Power Generators

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm

How about an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), such as a flywheel, battery or a molten salt capsule as an alternative to a backup generator. A UPS could be an upgrade.

I don't like using zero point energy as a form of power generation. Zero point energy definitely exists, but in reality nobody's sure if it can be harnessed, at least not in useful amounts. The concept in terms of game mechanics (generator is powerful but short-lived) is good, but in my opinion we should come up with a different basis for how this generator works.
ConnorY71

Postby Zardoz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Rename it to Entropy Energy Extractor or what do you think that it's better.

Something that I forgot :
  • Cold Fusion Generator : Low to Mid Power. Rare to found, and uses Hidrogen as fuel. A bit unreliable as around a one of five times that you try to activate it, does nothing.
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Can you explain how it works? Maybe we just say that zero point energy is harvestable, regardless of what the case is in real life. The Casimir effect is caused by zero point energy and there are some ideas for using it to produce free energy. There is no need for fuel, however, and the power output is small. We could tweak that a bit, the low power output I mean.

Also what do you think about having different generators being different sizes? Fission and Fusion reactors would be huge, for example. The radioisotope generator would be smaller. The generator would have some influence on ship size then.
ConnorY71

Postby Zardoz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:54 pm

For the ZPEG supposedly extract vacuum energy from a small artificially-created region of subspace. (Ripped from Star Gate lore)

As I said, the nuclear generator comes in different sizes with different power capacity. Obviously the nuclear rectors are big. But you can get a idea from a real case : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOPAZ_nuclear_reactor
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm

I was thinking of Stargate when you mentioned ZPE. The thing is, if we don't have hyperspace we don't have the ZPMs from Stargate. There was an episode in Stargate Atlantis where the Ancients made a ZPE generator using another universe instead of hyperspace. We could go with something like that if we have wormholes. The wormhole will eventually collapse, leaving the generator useless.
With the nuclear generators we probably have fancier radiation shields so it doesn't have to be as big as in real life. Still big, though.

Edit: If you can collect a huge amount of power using a ZPM, then it could be used directly as a weapon (like in Stargate). I think it's too powerful.
ConnorY71

Postby VladVP » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 am

Why can't we just give everyone a free recipe for a tokamak?
VladVP

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 pm

VladVP wrote:Why can't we just give everyone a free recipe for a tokamak?

We could have little windows in the side of the chamber. That would look cool. It'd be like the arc reactor (the big one) in iron man.
Personally I think the starter ship should come with a crappy fission reactor. The fuel is a bit expensive, so the player would be pushed to upgrade. Also the fission reactor is the lesser of the two nuclear reactors. I wouldn't count the RTG as a main generator, it's more of a backup as Zardoz said. That puts the fission reactor as the worst. Perfect for starters :lol: .
ConnorY71

Postby ConnorY71 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:17 am

A better version of the radioisotope generator:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Stirling_Radioisotope_Generator
ConnorY71

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:53 pm

zero point energy generator sounds like a big battery.
Tamer

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions