Faster That Light propulsions

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Faster That Light propulsions

Postby Zardoz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:15 pm

My thoughts :

• Warp drive (Alcubierre engine)
    Warping the space-time to travel at FTL speed without being more faster that the light. We can use Alcubierre theory as "lore" or simply using "Warp coils" to generate the warp field that warps the space-time.
  • Hyperspace (like B5)
    Hyperspace is a high dimension of the reality (Super-strings say that are 11 dimensions or more!), but is "compacted". Travelling there a 1Km will be like travelling 1000Km in normal space. To use it, you must make a portal to it, using a hyperspace generator (bigger thing). Usually only bigger ships have it as need a lot of power and is huge. Small and medium ships relays in a network of fixed portals.
    when someone is in the hyperspace, travelling it's easy, as there is gravitational currents, and high distortion, needing beacons to travel safe to know places (the network of fixed portals acts like beacons). Space warface could be happen inside hyperspace.
  • Quantum Micro-Wormholes
    At quantic scale the space-time is chaotic, generating and destroying all type of space time aberrations in this scale. Some times a micro wormhole from were you are and ends near were you desire to go, will be generate randomly. This is happening continuously. You only need to detect one of this random micro-wormholes and stabilize it and make it bigger. In other word, you only need to wait a short time before a appropriate wormhole is generated. This requires a lot of energy, but gives a very fast FTL way of travelling. But this have a price. If you need a more precise destination point, you will need to wait more time to a adequate wormhole. Plus as the target destination distance increase,s the time that you need to wait for the worm hole increases exponential.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Re: Faster That Light propulsions

Postby Krarl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:18 pm

I like the warp drive concept.
I think that fixed hyperspace portals will make the space seem smaller, since you can't go very far from a portal unless you have a huge bulky ship. And they are too limiting to the player.
I want to be able to say "Enter warp 4!" and swoosh off I go.

The wormholes is an interesting suggestion, I have never heard of it, but personally I don't really like it. I want the player to control the FTL.
Krarl

Postby Zardoz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Krarl wrote:The wormholes is an interesting suggestion, I have never heard of it, but personally I don't really like it. I want the player to control the FTL.

Do you have control, but you can't got directly to the coordinate X,Y,Z. Instead you will go in X,Y,Z +- 1Km . If you travel more far, the error is bigger. The side effects are that doing big jump to a point near of plant or other bigger body isn't a good idea, as you can jump inside a planet, what is very funny. Instead you should do a long jump somewhere not to near of the planet, and later do a micro jump to your desired final position.
The longer jumps needs bigger "cold-down" to find the appropriate micro-wormhole.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Krarl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 am

What I mean is that I want FTL travel to be something that the player "creates", and not waiting X amount of time for it to happen naturally. I think that not being sure where you will end up when doing long jumps is a good idea whatever FTL method is chosen.
Krarl

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 am

in the web comic schlock mercenary this one guy invents a machine called the terraport that will make a bunch of tiny worm holes and squeezes the spaceship through like spaghetti and reconstructs it on the other side. the downside is that it's pretty easy to disrupt with the right technology, so you can't warp into an enemy's anti-terraport zone without becoming a cloud of scattered atoms halfway through the process.

in short, instant transportation, but only if you're far enough away from the guys you want to kill. that might work fo this.
Vanshark

Postby Tamer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 am

I like the idea of instantly warping to a neighboring solar system. the time needed to find an appropriate wormhole could make for some tense moments and give pirates a window of oppurtunity to attack.
Tamer

Postby Chance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 am

why not use a combination of FTL devices or, just have options to choose from. you could set the devices in tiers. lets say, for example, Warp drive for interplanetary travel and Hyperspace for interstellar travel you could use the Asimov theory which puts the destination of the hyperspace jump at a significant distance from any body of mass that has a significant gravitational field then use Warp drive to get to your specific destination pirates could use warp dampeners to launch surprise attacks and so forth
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions