Sublight Engines and Ship Maneuvering

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: Sublight Engines and Ship Maneuvering

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 pm

croxis wrote:Moving to another planet (or planet/moon system) should take just enough time so the player feels like they are committing to something and plan on staying there for at least a while.

Just enough time is the key phrase here... I don't want it to feel like traversing a pre 1.7 ocean in minecraft.
ConnorY71

Postby croxis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:56 am

Right, but like I said there are other activities that the player will be doing on the ship while it travels. Actual time duration can be somewhat extensive.
croxis

Postby Zardoz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:02 am

In any case, we need find the equilibrium between the feeling of "big space" and "travel time not too long".
Someone played Freelancer ? These game compress a star system in a "small space" and keeps having sometimes problems of "too long and boring travel time", but at least puts some random fights to avoid the problem of boring travels.
Yep, I have a blog : http://zardoz.es
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Krarl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:26 am

I think that since you can actually walk around your ship and do stuff travel time could take long time without the game being boring. I've never played Freelancer but I assume that there's not much to do while in empty space. At least my vision of trillek is that when traveling you can improve your ship(interior), process materials, maybe farm etc.
Krarl

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 am

ConnorY71 wrote:Rockets:[/u]Work both in-atmosphere and in space (better in space, but aerospikes could be a cool feature to increase performance in air. Think N-1 starfighters from The Phantom Menace). Fuel efficiency isn't a rocket's strong point, but high speeds (compared to airplanes) can be reached fairly quickly. I was thinking a cheap way to produce solid hydrogen would allow for inexpensive and compact fuel. Plus, H2 is the best rocket fuel. The problem with rockets is that they also need an oxidiser, so rocket-fueled ships would need a large space for engine related stuff.
A similar device to the chemical rocket is the nuclear thermal rocket, not the same as the nuclear rocket listed below, which is a nuclear pulse rocket. (more info:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_rocket#Terminology)

Ion Drive: Like rockets is a reaction drive, so when building you ship this needs to go at the back. Properties include very good fuel efficiency but horrible thrust. To get somewhere in space at a reasonable time it is recommended to keep your ion drives on for the whole trip, or until you need to start slowing down. I wouldn't advise using this on your own ship as it is very slow, but certain niche uses definitely exist. Ion drives are too weak to work in-atmosphere, so don't put them on landing craft either. (more info:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_drive)

maybe you could use rockets to get up to speed and then the ion drive to go the rest of the way.
Vanshark

Postby Zardoz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Vanshark wrote:
maybe you could use rockets to get up to speed and then the ion drive to go the rest of the way.

This not works like the gears of a car, man.
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby ConnorY71 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Zardoz wrote:
Vanshark wrote:

This not works like the gears of a car, man.

I think it might in this case. The reason why rockets aren't used to boost ion drive propelled craft is because of the amount of fuel needed for rockets. The whole point of an ion drive is its fuel efficiency. I suppose you could use rockets in such a way if there were space-bound refuelling stations.
ConnorY71

Postby Zardoz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 pm

ION engines have a high efficiency, but have very few force, so needs a lot of time to accelerate anything. Because that, are only used in sats / probes.
However, Plasma engines have the best of both worlds. Have high efficiency, and can change "gear" between a regimen of high force /low speed and other of low force / high speed.
Emulator DCPU-16 VM
Zardoz

Postby Tamer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm

might I point out that it will take energy to slow down as well as speed up in space, as long as there are no tractor beams, gravitational fields, or other outside forces trying to slow you down.
Tamer

Postby Longor1996 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Tamer wrote:might I point out that it will take energy to slow down as well as speed up in space, as long as there are no tractor beams, gravitational fields, or other outside forces trying to slow you down.

Adding to that, note that planetary objects (Planets & Moons in this case) have gravity too, and as such will drag you towards them, effectively making you go faster as you get closer. Only way to counteract this is to hit the brakes. Whatever the brakes are in this case.

Have A Nice Day!

- Longor1996
#define Longor1996 "Programmer that loves to write small tools for quick usage. He writes code mainly in Java, but understands C++ and similar languages as well. Is also reading science articles/books/papers/news since he is 5 years old".
Longor1996

Previous

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions