Shields

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: Shields

Postby croxis » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:10 am

On the other hand magic shields is an easy concept for players to understand -- a self healing buffer -- and most games balance it so the players understand that a battle isn't going their way when their shields are being breached. It reduces the risk of engaging in combat where player psychology is very risk adverse. On the other hand this genera is more single player where the baddies are in inferior ships to the player and the player comes out of most engagements in good shape. It also makes weapon systems fairly understandable -- some weapons deal more damage to shields vs hull, and vice verse.

I like the idea where damage and defense is balanced so that two ships starting at full health will both probably survive the engagement -- where the losing side has enough time to run away. Losing a ship should be a rare and traumatic event where when the battle started your ship was already in a bad way.
croxis

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 am

The technology for the plasma shields, I realised, could be compacted into a hand-held device: a lightsaber! I'm not saying they should be a common weapon in the game, but maybe as an easter egg. Operating with the shield technology, it shares similar properties to the lightsabers in star wars, like being hot and bright. Instead of deflecting laser beams, though, it absorbs them. As for lightsabers colliding, we could say the magnets that hold the plasma in place are interfering with each other. We already have different color shields, so different color lightsabers isn't a problem.
ConnorY71

Postby jintonation » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm

The problem with a lightsaber is their size. Imagine how large the shield generator for a ship is. The size of a refrigerator, maybe? Now try to fit all of that into something the size of a paper towel tube.
jintonation

Postby ConnorY71 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I was thinking that. Even the power supply for the thing would be huge. But maybe since the game is set in the future we could let it slide :| . Plus I suggested the lightsaber could only be included in the game as an easter egg and easter eggs are oftentimes far fetched.
ConnorY71

Postby Cryptix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:56 am

Zardoz wrote:You can spray a stream of cold plasma (ionized gas), but keeps the problem of dissipation as is being ionized, all atoms have some positive electric charge so they are repelled. In other words, it's worse that streaming gas in a coherent stream.

As explained here: http://orbitalvector.com/Space%20Weapon ... APONS.html using a stream of charged particles in space as a weapon is retarded to say the least because of that exact issue with dissipation. You can charge the gas to accelerate it but to keep the stream intact you need to neutralize it as it exits the device. The fact that the beam is not charged should not matter as it will still fulfill it's purpose in weighing down the enemy's shield emitter as it tries to ionize the extra gaseous mass. And if accelerated fast enough before exiting the barrel and de-ionizing it would make an effective kinetic weapon as well.
Cryptix

Postby Killerbunny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Whatever we choose I want a system the has custumations and most importantly that it can performe manuvers. Like making it stronger in a spesific areas. That it can adapt slightly to new weapons on the fly. Maybe add the need to stabelize shields and ways to speed up stabelisation.
I have a CPU to automate things now give me things to automate :)
Killerbunny

Postby Ethan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 pm

it would be cool if the ship was capable of firing magnetic projectiles that would disrupt an area of the shield
Ethan

Postby evanator66 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Ethan wrote:it would be cool if the ship was capable of firing magnetic projectiles that would disrupt an area of the shield

It would have to be a special weapon/upgrade. You would also have to do it from a distance, or else it would just be attracted to your ship.
That will probably become a classic noob mistake if it is possible.
I am from the future... of the past.
evanator66

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 am

I say there should be a few weapons that can bypass shields completely, but deal less actual damage, so you can strategically take out the shield generator with those, then take out the rest of the ship with the big guns. there's a system like that in FTL the game.
Vanshark

Postby Tamer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm

croxis wrote:I like the idea where damage and defense is balanced so that two ships starting at full health will both probably survive the engagement -- where the losing side has enough time to run away. Losing a ship should be a rare and traumatic event where when the battle started your ship was already in a bad way.

what do you get from winning an engagement if not the wreckage of the other ship? pirates will have a hard time raiding if the transports can run away at any time.
Tamer

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions