Shuttles, Land Vehicles, and a few other ideas

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Shuttles, Land Vehicles, and a few other ideas

Postby JordanZimm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I didn't say any post names that would indicate it. I love the idea of having my primary ship, but then having an M1-like bay with a star trekkian space shuttle sitting inside. This ship would not have any FTL capacity, it would have basic life support and limited but precise space navigation. Maybe I want to join somebody's multiplayer world, but I want to hang out aboard their ship and don't want to leave my own ship floating about on its own. I just hop into my shuttle, park it in their hanger, and walk on up to their bridge. Writing about this, an idea for multiplayer connection occurred to me; I do not know how well it would work, but say you connect to a server while already in-game. You initiate an IP based connection, and if you are approved by the server(manually, whitelisted, whatever) a wormhole or some other bit of space magic opens nearby, allowing you to fly through with whichever ship you choose. Your own world would be suspended for the time being, just as if you had exited the game. About land vehicles, I would like to be able to land my ship/shuttle on a planet, open a bay door, and roll out on an atv, dump truck(you cant carry everything from mining, this isn't minecraft), unicycle, anything my little heart desires. Who wants to cruise around in space just to traverse the planets and moons they visit on foot? I would settle for a bicycle.
JordanZimm

Re: Shuttles, Land Vehicles, and a few other ideas

Postby San Dingo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 am

I agree with pretty much everything in that post. That'd be pretty awesome.
San Dingo

Postby JordanZimm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 am

Imagine low gravity biking haha. On a more serious note, I know that mining has been mentioned, as well as a realistic inventory system. Unless all mining will be done by ship EVE style, land vehicles may be a requirement. Things like dump trucks or even specialized mining equipment. Personally, I would rather go down to the planet and mine manually, either by hand or with some small vehicles. I don't think I would enjoy orbiting some asteroid for an hour while ore magically moves into my cargo hold.
JordanZimm

Postby San Dingo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:52 am

I like the concept of having to land mining shuttle/vehicles. Adds a little bit more depth to it.
San Dingo

Postby Krarl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I too like everything suggested in that post. Land vehicles would be an amazing thing to have in the game.
I think some people would rather have it that it's you, your ship and nothing more. But I'm all for bases, cars, riding alien elephants(possibly serious), if it seems viable development wise.
Krarl

Postby San Dingo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Well I mean if people don't want to man and code their vehicles/cpu on the land vehicles, they wouldn't have to. Like say for a mining drone that you send to a planet, the default programs are just enough to make it work. But it won't work at peak efficiency. For that you'd need to manually install custom parts and code programs.
San Dingo

Postby Alderin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

One might even have to mine the materials by hand to put into the ship's construction system to build the mining tools/trucks/bots. Plans for the equipment could be purchased, found, or designed by players. Programs could also be obtained from similar sources. I can envision the base miner-bot just digs up a rectangle and deposits everything in a pile, but a better program has it follow ore veins and make separate piles for the different types of materials it finds.

Yeah, it's a space game, but I want a planet/asteroid base to call "home", dock my ship, make repairs, and store neat stuff I've found. Maybe have friends over, have programming parties and play target practice with the base defenses and the old miner-bots that can't be upgraded. :-)
Alderin

Postby San Dingo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I think it'd be best if there was no player mining. I think all players should start off with the lowest level mining drone possible. We've had enough mining from Minecraft :).

I do love the idea of having a planet/asteroid claimed by your "faction" and then living there and having a base.
San Dingo

Postby JordanZimm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Krarl wrote:I too like everything suggested in that post. Land vehicles would be an amazing thing to have in the game.
I think some people would rather have it that it's you, your ship and nothing more. But I'm all for bases, cars, riding alien elephants(possibly serious), if it seems viable development wise.

Alderin wrote:One might even have to mine the materials by hand to put into the ship's construction system to build the mining tools/trucks/bots. Plans for the equipment could be purchased, found, or designed by players. Programs could also be obtained from similar sources. I can envision the base miner-bot just digs up a rectangle and deposits everything in a pile, but a better program has it follow ore veins and make separate piles for the different types of materials it finds.

Yeah, it's a space game, but I want a planet/asteroid base to call "home", dock my ship, make repairs, and store neat stuff I've found. Maybe have friends over, have programming parties and play target practice with the base defenses and the old miner-bots that can't be upgraded. :-)

San Dingo wrote:I think it'd be best if there was no player mining. I think all players should start off with the lowest level mining drone possible. We've had enough mining from Minecraft :).

I do love the idea of having a planet/asteroid claimed by your "faction" and then living there and having a base.

Bases sound amazing, I can already imagine flying into a low orbit around my moon and watching my bio-domes come into view as I dock my ship. I like the idea of player mining at the beginning of the game, but nothing like Minecraft. Imagine landing on a planet and taking a manually controlled mining drone, it will be player mining only in that it requires complete control and supervision of the player. You tell it exactly where to mine, when to store ore, when to go back to your ship, and will have no automated functions. As far as form factor, I am imagining something that looks like a Fallout eye-bot or a bomb squad drone.
JordanZimm

Postby Alderin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 pm

I wouldn't mind if the lowest form of player mining was an R/C-style mining drone (or even RTS-style "go here, collect this" via DCPU controls), the plans are already in the replicator as a choice, just feed the replicator something to process/recycle to make the drone out of. I think the basic mining drones should be prone to failures and get stuck easily.
Alderin

Next

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions