Shuttles, Land Vehicles, and a few other ideas

Post here all of your ideas, concept and suggestions which aren't strictly related to the game's development and implementation!

Re: Shuttles, Land Vehicles, and a few other ideas

Postby JordanZimm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Alderin wrote:I wouldn't mind if the lowest form of player mining was an R/C-style mining drone (or even RTS-style "go here, collect this" via DCPU controls), the plans are already in the replicator as a choice, just feed the replicator something to process/recycle to make the drone out of. I think the basic mining drones should be prone to failures and get stuck easily.

I love everything in that post. I do think that the player should start with a basic drone, maybe some beat up old thing sitting in a closet, or perhaps they start with the schematic for one of the lowest tier and some raw materials.
JordanZimm

Postby ConnorY71 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:05 pm

JordanZimm wrote:Writing about this, an idea for multiplayer connection occurred to me; I do not know how well it would work, but say you connect to a server while already in-game. You initiate an IP based connection, and if you are approved by the server(manually, whitelisted, whatever) a wormhole or some other bit of space magic opens nearby, allowing you to fly through with whichever ship you choose. Your own world would be suspended for the time being, just as if you had exited the game.

This would allow for people to bring resources to and from their single player worlds, meaning they can supply their friends with items gathered outside the pressure of a multiplayer environment (fights with other players, for example) and materialize fleets of ships out of "nowhere". I like the idea of keeping the same character for singleplayer and multiplayer, as well as the wormhole concept, but bringing any ship to a multiplayer world from your own world leads to problems.

Maybe a special pod that detatches from your main ship could bring the player (and only the player) to a multiplayer world. This could also make joining a multiplayer world something that only somewhat experienced players can do, having to build or unlock the pod to use it, so that players who enter a shared world have a basic understanding of the game.
ConnorY71

Postby sleuthyRogue » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Overall, the concept of mining should be a small nod to Minecraft in the early stages of the game, but the player should transcend that simplicity relatively quickly. This a game about space in it's entirety, and while planet exploration and exploitation will be relatively important, it should fall under an automated process after a while, assuming the player can program things efficiently, allowing the player to worry about other things.

I'm not knocking being able to find various treasures, story-line, and easter-eggs on planets, mind you!
"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one." - GLaDOS
sleuthyRogue

Postby Vanshark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:45 am

Bombardment from space isn't working? shuttle down and crush your enemies with your awesome tank!

granted some vehicle technologies wouldn't work in space, and some wouldn't work within the atmosphere. a laser might be good for shooting through space, but for shooting through the atmosphere you gotta use cold, hard explosives.
Vanshark

Postby Olenji » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:36 pm

The only problem with the "base" thing is griefing, which I'm pretty sure all of you have experienced in Minecraft. How would you deal with that? We don't want to restrict the players by not being able to attack the base either.

As for land vehicles, I like the idea quite a bit. Kudos to you. I was thinking that we'd still be able to mine with our ship or drones but only for small/medium sized asteroids. The larger ones might need a mining rig. The planets would be the vehicles.
These are my half-baked ideas.
Olenji

Postby Chance » Fri May 23, 2014 7:11 pm

About the Base why not add automated defenses this would allow those who want to avoid griefing a way to prevent it but also allow griefing for those who want to. Not that I want to.
Chess is a sport. A violent sport. - Marcel Duchamp.
Chance

Previous

Return to Ideas, Concept & Suggestions